• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 "Red Block" with 6.5 turbo heads?

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok I'm seriously considering the idea of just leaving my 6.2 N/A for now but running my 6.5 turbo heads on it, is there any negitives to this idea or should I just buck up and run arp studs with the original n/a heads and swap the turbo heads on later when I do the turbo conversion? More then likely at that point I will add the 6.5 lower intake with a peninsular (sp?) Marine upper intake to allow for intercooling and running a hx35 or hx40 turbo.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

Running a complete red (now super stealthy black) engine with 6.5 'stuff' bolted to it currently.. No complaints. Should have went the extra mile and cut in 'T' or diamond pre-cups but oh well.

You'll have to make a nifty spacer for the Pass side ex manifold. (funky injector angle)

Running a complete red (now super stealthy black) engine with 6.5 'stuff' bolted to it currently.. No complaints. Should have went the extra mile and cut in 'T' or diamond pre-cups but oh well.

You'll have to make a nifty spacer for the Pass side ex manifold. (funky injector angle)

That is if i use the 6.2 heads correct? I do have 6.5 heads in my parts stash as well.

The head swap is up to you.

N/A 6.2 heads will work but the injector angle will need some 'workaround'.. spacer, 2 gaskets, tweeked x-over etc.

That said, either direction you chose, you will need to get oil to the turbo. Early 6.2's don't have the oil tap at the front like late 6.2/5's. I chose to get oil at the OPS. (a new 36" -6 line will be needed and some other fitings)

1982 red blocks had fine thread injectors in the heads. You will need to change heads to use the short body 6.5 injectors. ARP's are great but should be sealed. I use locktight to seal mine on the block threads. Is the 6.2 in the 1990's body style?

1982 red blocks had fine thread injectors in the heads. You will need to change heads to use the short body 6.5 injectors. ARP's are great but should be sealed. I use locktight to seal mine on the block threads. Is the 6.2 in the 1990's body style?

My big valve 6.2 heads are the long coarse injectors. They fit but are real close on 4&6 with the std 6.5 plumbing and spacer deal.. (just fyi again)

6.2 n/a's were used in the W/T's 'til 91-92 ish.. IIRC

82-mid 83(left over redblocks) had the coarse thread injectors. mid 83 up to the end of the 6.2 had fine thread injectors. First there were long body injectors for trucks, and short body injectors for vans, due to clearance issues on the vans. Then the injectors went to all short length but the threads stayed the same. The body was just a tad shorter. This was somewhere in the late 80s or so, probably when the GMT-400 bodystyle came out in 88. After that came the 6.5 injectors, which were the same from cradle to grave of on road production.

Back