• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 rebuild

If I end up putting a turbo on this.... where is a source for the oil supply for the turbo?

I get a "T" and tap into the OPS location on the block. Be careful of firewall clearance with some "T" improvised designs as the "bad example" I show below was hitting the firewall. Some can get the plug by the oil filter out and use that location. The 6.5 location is in front of the block.

100_3023.JPG

You can't spin an old style water pump backwards on a serpentine belt system. It would not work very well as they are rotation specific pumps... At least it showed up during install.

6.5 has a shorter HB because the reluctor ? is in front of the lower timing chain sprocket . The 6.2 should be longer , no electronics . Serp belt pumps and backing plates are different .

@WarWagon Thats what I figured on the oil.... just wanted to make sure...

I am sure that the water pump does not work well spinning backwards.... That factor of it running on the backside of the belt and therefore needing to spin the opposite way went right by me. That makes me feel alot better (still stinks to have to shell out the money for another pump but I am glad it happened this way rather than trying to figure out why the thing was overheating.........

@EWC What you say makes sense....the 6.5 HB have a different P/N....but I double and tripple checked and I had ordered the 6.2 HB and according to Rockauto there is no difference in them from early to late years (of the 6.2)........so I am still stumped.

Am slowly gathering all the plumbing fittings etc I need to finish the fuel lines and oil cooler. In the mean time have been thinking about the exhaust and what I want to do for a turbo....... I know N/A is like riding a dead horse.... and a stock turbo is an asthma attack for the exhaust system.

My goal is just a little more gittup and go so that I will not feel like I am lugging it even with very conservative driving habits.

My idea that I would like some feedback on is: I have an old turbo off my parts truck that I could by a new core for, and then open the exhaust up just a bit (kinda like porting an intake) maybe make the slot where the exhaust flows around the turbine 1/16-1/8 wider.

What do you think.......waist of time? Might help a little? Would I likely get the same results from just enlarging the hole for the waste gate?

@n8in8or has an interesting turbo to consider. On a budget a stock turbo turned up to 12PSI with a turbomaster, open exhaust, with 1/4 turn more fuel really wakes the 6.5 up "unloaded". Myself I would ATT and Yank stall it... :p

The Chinese knock-offs of the HX series (either 35, 40wii or 40) are cheap and work well for our engines, but you have to do some adapting to make them fit. If you can fab your own downpipe adapter you won't spend much more than a new cartridge for a GMX turbo and have a much better turbo, but if you need to buy a kit like racedaymechanic's, then you'll be into it for a bit more money. I'm not sure about your porting idea - admittedly, I don't know enough about turbos to say for sure what that mod would do - good or bad.

Back