• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 Non TD swap into a gas 2500 4x4

QinVB

Reaction score
Hello all. Got a situation that I think is worth considering, but I need the knowledge and expertise of the members of this forum. I will appreciate feedback"

I have a 1990 6.2 with 116K original in an (another) exCity vehicle that had oil changes every 3k that runs really well and which I've replaced needed parts to anticipate and avoid problems because I used it in my business which is now history. It's in a ratty P-30 that would be better off going to the recycle center as a load of steel scrap. I have a chance to get a 2004 2500 4x4 with a blown 5.7 sb cheap. The 6.2 has the HD 400 3spd auto with the straight cut gears. The 04 has a 4l80E. I know anything is possible if you want to do it badly enough, and I'm sure someone has done it already. But, my question is: is it worth the effort? Would this be a relatively easy swap with some fabrication, and wiring mods, or should I pass? Electrical mods wouldn't be a problem for me, I'm good with that. I figure I'd need motor and trans mounts, bell housing, torque converter, may be able to reuse the exhaust, and the front of the truck would need to come apart (see War Wagon's pictures).

I think the '04 could be a great truck with that engine, for what I need, if it is possible to mate the 6.2 with the 4L80E/transfer case to make it work. Many new parts on the 6.2. I feel confident it would last, but it's in something that I really don't like to drive.

Opinions, suggestions????

Last edited:
Mechanically it should be a pretty easy swap. You'll need to control the trans though. Not sure how you'd make the gauges work either. From my perspective the electrical would be the hurdle. What about emission inspection?

Yeah, AK nailed it. Here, dmv fights gas to diesel conversion to the death. Also they require any engine swap for the replacement engine to be as new or newer than the truck. Check that before proceeding.

After that hurdle, you need a different torque converter than the gasser, have to figure out the engine mounts as go, tranny bolts up no problem, same starter on the 6.2 it has now. 6.2 flexplate is good for it.

Throttle cable pedal- with a bit of rigging and it will work.

4l80e transmission - 2 options.
1. Buy an optishift from Leroy. $, but you will have the most control over it and only 1 part to fail.
2. Somewhere here is a thread of a tcm from a van for sale for like $100 or something, then you need to add a tps to the ip, and a ess/oil pump drive. Also $, long term reliablity proven, no control over transmission for shift points, etc.
I would be REALLY tempted to try the optishift if the pricing is the same.

How much are you going to tow with it? When you build the exhaust system, add a flange newr the trans so you can unbolt later and easily change exhaust to add a turbo. It will jot just have better power, but better mpg.

Back