• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 New Starting Issue

cornemuse

Reaction score
Yesterday I hopped in the Blazer ('84 6.2) & started her up. Took the usual amount of cranking for cold (for here) weather start.
It has always when hot started with first piston compression stroke coming up. Went to store, then restart, it took a bit of cranking. Next stop, starting took even more cranking. Again, next stop, took still even more cranking. Skipped next stop & drove home.
Once started, ran just fine, as always for 18 years.
I have not looked at it yet, thought I'd check here first. Not that many miles since air/oil/fuel filter changes, tho, it seems to me it might be fuel related??

Any ideas or thoughts?

Clear return line out front of ip? Clear fuel flow without bubbles?

Fuel pressure gauge tapped in just before the ip inlet?
What pressure when cranking before and after it starts?

I feel like an idiot!
The alternator vee belt was broken/gone.
I noticed something dangling under the motor, when I felt it, I knew.
This happened once about 15 yrs ago, it all came back. The weaker the batts, the longer the cranking.
I hadnt done anything as its been raining here, & I must work in the dirt, (its been mud, I'm waiting for things to dry up. Its supposed to be dry & sunny in Southern Calif!! But not lately.

Changing all belts requires laying in the mud under the car, good thing I'm retired, I'll just wait, , , ,

Installed new belts, now, alternator is not charging.
I had to use my 125 amp charger/starter unit to move Blazer to dry ground. Installed belt(s), let motor run for ½ - ¾ hr with charger still hooked up.

Could this combo fry the alternator??

About 15 years ago, this car kept going through alternators. (junkyard units, could of been bad) Put one last one on & its 15 years later, , ,

I was told that it can,so I always quick disconnect the charger after the vehicle starts.

Meant to mention (post #8): using 125A starter, it showed very low current flow to batts. even when initially connected. Batts maybe bad? They're about 2 yrs old. Mild SoCal climate, mid to low 40's last few weeks.

Back