• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 military engines @ Fort Bragg

The real gamble with these engines seems to be if they capped the intake and exhaust . It seems very common that they aren't capped and just thrown outside not in the watertight containers. At least 2 of the 8 that I bought were full of water. They will have to be bored[$800 for machining] and new pistons [$100 each]. Even if you are able to view them before bidding you can't know what they look like inside. I wouldn't bid over $200 per engine with container. You can recover most of that selling the container or use it for WVO storage tank. Also better off to buy lots of 3 or more engines for a better chance of getting at least 1 good one. Minimum bid of $100 is the same if it's 1 engine or 10. It can take 90 days or more to get approved to purchase after you win the auction. Something else to look for is restricted hour or days to pick up. Some auctions they won't load them for you either. They weigh around 1200 lbs in the container.
Something I've noticed is that theh may not be listed correctly. They can be listed as a 6.2 and actually be a 6.5. Also some are listed as GM engines and really are GEP optimisers. I think they go by the tag on the container and don't know the difference.

something else, these are pull outs, they have been run, pulled out for a reason and might not be for a 'repower'. when the 6.2's were rebuilt here, they had a black paint job put on, never left dirty. these have questionable miles/conditions. i would play it hillbilly shy on these 2.

Deejaaa there r three engines, two links on the first post and another engine on the other post.

Barry what do u mean by bored and new pistons???? I thought I could use it as is, I have a 6.2 and these r 6.2????

Deejaaa there r three engines, two links on the first post and another engine on the other post.

Barry what do u mean by bored and new pistons???? I thought I could use it as is, I have a 6.2 and these r 6.2????

he means that the engines were scrap... probably rust in the bores.... and those engines look all used up, i have seen auctions for engines that look brand new..... IMO the hillbilly shy thing applies here...LOL...

he means that the engines were scrap... probably rust in the bores.... and those engines look all used up, i have seen auctions for engines that look brand new..... IMO the hillbilly shy thing applies here...LOL...
X2. if there is water in the cylinders they will need to be cleaned up, bored and that means new pistons because they will be too small.
i looked around your area on craigs but didn't see anything but a 6.5 with 250,000 miles and they wanted 2,000.00 for the truck.

What I ment is that if you got one that had/has water in the cylinders it would have to be rebuilt. The last time I priced out getting the block machined it was $850. The rebuild kits with new pistons,rings gaskets, ect were $900 or more.
Much better off buying 3 or more engines and having at least 1 good one or more. The single engines seem to bring more money because most people only want one.
I have put GEP optimisers on my watch list and seen them go for $400.
4 of the 8 that I got still had the "Melton" reman stickers on the valve covers. Melton is a GM factory rebuilder. All of the Melton engines had newer style heads on them and short body injectors. Mine are all 84-89 engines. Here's the thread on them and more: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?22466-Engine-Safari

Cool thank yall, all info is appreciated. My engine seems ok but I was gonna get a cheap military to slap in there when mine went kapooie.

I looked around here on the charlotte craigslist and found nothing. It's just hard to find these things complete.

I'd offer you mine that's sitting in my P30 but I think i'm going to hold on to it until my 6.5 turns loose.

I have seen bunches of the "Surplus" military engines for sale over the years.
Got into a warehouse full of them a few years ago and had my run of the place to look them overand pick and choose.

I found a lot of them that had serious issues and some that appeared to be "Intact"

Sadly these engines in so many cases have serious issues.

Most generally, from what I have been told by the young folks that work in the motor pools, especially over seas, that they dont dig inside an engine normally out in the field.

If its inside and not readily fixable, they grab a fresh one in a box and install it.

This could mean anything from a internal coolant leak to a bad rod, main, noises, blown head gasket, broken rocker arm/guide button or ???

I am told that out in the field they are not really set up to do major repairs.

Now when it comes to the condition of these engines, I have seen some that were running takeouts and were in pretty good shape, and others that were trash and not even repairable.

Some were parts engines that you might get some pistons/rods and things and others were total losses, just did not look too bad from the outside.

A local fellow bought 5 of the military 6.2 units in the GREEN box from an auction up near Seattle and after they were apart the scene was pretty grim.

Two had broken cranks, one had lost a rod which had knocked a chunk from the bottom of the cylinder, one had spun a number one main and the last one had a badly cracked head that had filled a cylinder with coolant.

All of these engines looked great on the outside, and some did not even have much dirt on them.

Consider these to be like yanking that handle on a slot machine in Vegas.

There have been some winners.

We have all heard the stories about nearly new or "NEW" Surplus stuff that was sold for pennies.

I have not seen any of these.

The boys in the motor pool don't yank enignes for fun, so if its a takeout, it probably has issues.

My advice is simple, If you can get them cheap enough it might be worth a roll of the dice.

Sorry that I can't be more optimistic, but I have seen just way too much carnage come from those little green metal canisters.

Good luck and have fun

Missy

I picked this one up for $395. $468 after tax and GL's fee. The good news is that it is a Navistar 6.5 with a cast date of Jan 2008. The bad news is that has spun bearings. The crank is toast. The rod bearings on 5 through 8 were clearly oil starved. 1 through 4 seem fine. The photo is the 5-6 journal with 6 being the problem child.
IMG_9762.jpg

I have it on a stand and mostly apart. Still need to pull the balancer and pull the crank to inspect the mains. I've got a bad feeling about the #4 main.

It's been a fun project and I'm learning a great deal. I'm not hurting for an engine so I have time to sort it out.

Back