• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 Diesel in GMT400 chassis questions

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok since my original plans for my 6.2 did not pan out I havr some questions about dropping it into my '94 eventually.

From my understanding I may need to find an oil pan from an early gmt400 chassis truck that is 4wd with the 6.2 due to clearances around the diff correct?

Could the original pan be modified to clear the diff if I were to stay with the ifs?

Would I need to change the pan if I go with a suspension lift in the truck? If I go with an ifs lift the kit will drop the front diff around 5"

I'm also looking at doing a solid axle swap to this truck and the convetsion kit along with the suspension lift kit for an older chevy will give me a 5.5" lift.

Will either method allow me to use the 6.2s original oil pan?

Powered by Detroit Diesel

I'd think you'd be fine either way. Whats the 6.2 out of? do you have a pan for it now?

The 6.2 is out of an 82 or 83 silverado 4x4 and yes I have the original pan plus I have a 6.5 pan kicking around that could be used to show where the 6.2 pan would need to be modified to clear the ifs diff.

Powered by Detroit Diesel

I was doing a 6.2 6.5 swap of some kind and the pans would not fit each other. I think some will some won't. It may be is mgw thread?
With a 5" lift and SAS you will have plenty of room.

here's a good thread by MGW that explains alot about the oil pan differences and what fits what(years/body styles)

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...rom-the-dead-as-a-6-2-truck-The-Phoenix-rises

I remember reading that thread before!

I was doing a 6.2 6.5 swap of some kind and the pans would not fit each other. I think some will some won't. It may be is mgw thread?
With a 5" lift and SAS you will have plenty of room.

I belive it is infact an mgw thread that explains it. Either way I lift it the diff is moved so win win. Tbh since im loosing faith in the gm ifs system its most likely gonna be sas. So with that said I guess my 6.2 becomes my back up engine for my '94.
Thanks for the info guys! Now I just need to see if my idea for relocating the lift pump to the bed will work...