• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2/6.5 Hybrid Rebuild

jmack91z28

Jason
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the 6.2 out of the bread truck and I've already started stripping it down. I'll post up some pictures at a later time. I'm wanting to rebuild it with a 6.5 top end and most likely an A-Team turbo. Need some advice along the way as this is my first diesel build here. I'm going to ask plenty of questions along the way as I know you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

The 6.2 is a 93 model with 140,000 miles and a 599 block. I've been told these 93's have 6.5 heads and injectors but I haven't verified that yet.

Plans are complete bottom end rebuild, prefer to lower the compression as well, maybe 20:1? I'm not planning on running more than like 14psi. I'd like to go with gapless rings and ARP head studs. New cooling setup, waterpump/fan/clutch/single stat neck. I'm going to have the block cleaned and pressure checked, same with the heads. DB2831 injection pump with stock injectors. I'd like to talk with bill about his towing camshaft too.

I'm staying with the 4L80e and will be buying a TCM setup to make it work. I'm obviously going to have to have a set of gauges as well, new Delco balancer too. I'm not going to waste time and money on a stud girdle or Fluidamper..

First question is, where can I get a solid rebuild kit with lower compression pistons and gapless rings? Or am I going to have to piece all this together?

Pretty sure gapless rings are gonna come separate and 6.2's dont have lower compression pistons. Might check with kennedy though, he used to sell 6.5 dished pistons for 18.5 compression.

Your 599 block can always be overbored to 6.5 stock specs.

do some careful checking on the comp ratio. a thicker head gasket will get you where you want as long as the block wasn't surfaced. also precups can change c/r

do some careful checking on the comp ratio. a thicker head gasket will get you where you want as long as the block wasn't surfaced. also precups can change c/r

True, I forgot about the diamond pre cups are High 20's IIRC. I'm not a big fan of thicker gaskets myself but its cheap and seems to work for most people.

Yeah Kennedy wants $995 for his, i'm not spending that much. I'd imagine Peninsular wants even more for theirs?

You will need to check the block for mains cracks before spending anything on it.
Gapless rings are cheaper for the 6.2 if you shop it and price match. No kits with gapless rings as they are expensive on their own. I use Total Seal and like how clean they keep the oil. They are made when you place an order aka a week delay or more. They should be measured in the cyl, filed, and gapped.

The econo-miser precups, bread truck, need to be punched out and replaced with diamond precups or you limit your turbo boost and fuel you can use. 6.2 military precups hit a 17 PSI wall in Buddy's and my testing on the 1995 6.2 hybrid burb. The small econo cup would be worse IMO for lower fuel/boost.

The first thing I plan to spend a dollar on will be to have the block magnafluxed and pressure checked.

WW, with the gapless rings keeping the oil cleaner do you go longer on oil changes or is it not worth pushing it like that?

Back