• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.0 performance chips/ K&N intake...add mileage when towing?

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Wondering if a programmer or intake for the 6.0 would help get better mileage when towing. If so how much better?

Diablo Sport programmers can disable the torque management on those motors, as well as power tune. And from what I hear, they can work wonders and give you lots more low end beans. I talked my brother into getting one for his new Silverado 6 liter. I also tuned a friends truck back before I moved. He's got an 03 2500HD 6.0 and he said it was a night and day, noticeable difference with low end power.

Unit
This is for a work truck. To talk my dad into it it'd have to increase mileage. Did your brother or friend notice a mileage gain? We towed a trailer out to Wyoming for work and the mileage sucked...more power would be nice too.

I never asked them. Not many people I know who drive trucks like ours really care to calculate their mileage. I'll find out.

I never asked them. Not many people I know who drive trucks like ours really care to calculate their mileage. I'll find out.

Yeah I know. I never used to either...but I checked it on the way down to florida during spring break one year....now it's a habit that just makes you mad. :mad2:

My dad understands why diesels kick ass now! ):h He wants one for himself and one for work but it ain't in the budged at the moment.

Max

I took the cheap mans method to my 6.0 performance. I bought a hypertech programmer cheap off ebay, opened up the stock airbox, and then just straight tune up, new plugs, wires cleaned TB and intake, etc etc. It is a night and day difference. I live in the city and farm on the weekends, and I log every tank of gas.

Overall Avg 16 mpg (imp)
Highway 18 mpg (imp) best of 23, can get over 20 if I keep off the pedal
Towing 10,000 lbs + 10 (imp)

Its too late for me to do the conversion to US for ya, I don't recall the formula...

The diablo is a much better tuner than Hypertech. The intake is not worth it, just open up your airbox like the Duarmax guys do.

Max

I took the cheap mans method to my 6.0 performance. I bought a hypertech programmer cheap off ebay, opened up the stock airbox, and then just straight tune up, new plugs, wires cleaned TB and intake, etc etc. It is a night and day difference. I live in the city and farm on the weekends, and I log every tank of gas.

Overall Avg 16 mpg (imp)
Highway 18 mpg (imp) best of 23, can get over 20 if I keep off the pedal
Towing 10,000 lbs + 10 (imp)

Its too late for me to do the conversion to US for ya, I don't recall the formula...

The diablo is a much better tuner than Hypertech. The intake is not worth it, just open up your airbox like the Duarmax guys do.

Cool. Since I last posted my dad bought a Duramax for himself and one for work. But we also borrowed my buddy's Bully Dog programmer and it made a big difference until we were towing in the big hills out west...felt like stock again. :rolleyes5:

Cool. Since I last posted my dad bought a Duramax for himself and one for work. But we also borrowed my buddy's Bully Dog programmer and it made a big difference until we were towing in the big hills out west...felt like stock again. :rolleyes5:

It felt like stock when you got to the hills?

Yeah, I didn't remember exactly what the last trip was like without the tuner, but we were towing a 16' enclosed trailer and the truck is still guttless in the big hills. It's hard to keep it at 70-75mph.

Back