• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5 Grand (maybe more) for the Buildup

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've been looking around and making multiple random posts about my truck, and now i ask:

With a 5 thousand dollar budget, how would you upgrade the engine in a truck like mine?
I want it built up for fairly heavy towing (14K GTW), and I want it to be dead reliable and last for a long time(engine and components), as well as fairly fuel efficient when unhooked from the trailer (15mpg or more, preferably). I don't want a road racer, (as i am looking for a 1995 fcode 5spd 2500 for that!) I want pulling power, and i want it to hold its own on the hill, prefer at least enough power to hold 2nd or 3rd.
The engine has head problems, and I will probably overhaul it (If there is problems w/ the bottom end, which i cant imagine there isn't), so it will be stripped, so no upgrade is out of the question. It is a flatbed, so it will be hard for a large water/meth system, propane system, etc. I was looking for recommendations such as exhaust (3 or 4in), current or GM8, Kennedy chip w/ factory wastegate, or heath w/ TM, overhaul kit/source, stuff like that.
If you would name the brand/company/product, (Ex: Kennedy Cooling Upgrade, Heath Towing Chip, etc) and price, that would be great.

I am looking to never overheat anything (motor oil, coolant, EGT), i will have guages, but i want to not have to run against the limits.

I would prefer the 5 grand cover the whole truck, not just the engine. (If i am asking too much for that little $ amount, please say so! I can up it up, but I am cheap, so I'd prefer not to!:smilewinkgrin:)

I already have the rest of the powertrain upgrades covered, Geartech HD finned cover and QK1000 filter (South Bend clutch/flywheel if needed), and a Mag-Hytec Diff cover. Synthetic oils and guages in both. I will ask about oils and specific South Bend systems at a later time.

I know i asked a lot of questions, sorry! :sad:

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Towing 14k over any kind of hills will not be fun with a 6.5. If I were going to go for it, I would do the following: all of the cooling mods (high flow pump, dual t-stats, Kennedy fan clutch, additional oil and trans coolers, ATA intercooler(parts off of e-bay) , 4inch exhaust, 18:1 pistons, Holset turbo (or that monster GMCTD has). If I did all of that, I would want someone to custom program my PCM to match the capabilities of the bigger turbo and reduced compression (Kennedy or Wester's). I'm sure I left something out, but that's a good start for the loads you're going to try and pull.

That is what the trailer grosses, but i think it will be more like 10k. who do you recomend for an intercooler source? kennedy? (i'm too young to buy off of e-bay) I think the 5.13s will help with towing! :)

That is what the trailer grosses, but i think it will be more like 10k. who do you recomend for an intercooler source? kennedy? (i'm too young to buy off of e-bay) I think the 5.13s will help with towing! :)

Kennedys intercooler is very very pricey. For someone on a budget build your own. Parts can be gotten for cheap off fleabay. Maybe PM Scrufdog. He did a nice top mount one I'd like to clone eventually. TD also managed to snake one in on his without going outside the wheelwells.

Typo for the 5:13 ???? what week you planning on getting there won't have any top end.

Stuff in my sig under 5K over time I'm capable to comfortably move 18K# with my rig, only about 13 mpg though when hauling that big, this is with stock CR, describe your 14K load open trailer or "slab sided" box that's gonna catch a lot of wind, adding drag equivalent to higher physical weight.

Kennedy/Spearco IC can be self fabbed for far less $$$ than what I shelled out for it, but it's a good setup for ready to install kits (most trucks) http://myweb.cableone.net/tbogemirep/ my install there that link, since then I've swapped out for solid tubing vs flex pipe, (dummy me) exh pipe spirals only rated for 3 psi, & I was boosting to 15, so losing air and weeping CDR scavenged oil.

Rhino, GMCTD doesn't have big turbo on his GMC, possibly thinking of another member, Stateman & myself are running a Mitsubishi TD07-22A non WG turbo which won't require 18:1 piston IMO he's 18:1, I'm not, will eventually back that up with data.

Last edited:
It has 19.5s, so that will help a bit. It is a C3500HD, they only came with 4.63 and 5.13.

It is a 20' PJ deckover flat deck trailer. Will haul farm equipment, 8 row cornheader, planter, etc.

Last edited:
It has 19.5s, so that will help a bit. It is a C3500HD, they only came with 4.63 and 5.13.

It is a 20' PJ deckover flat deck trailer. Will haul farm equipment, 8 row cornheader, planter, etc.

Oh you already got no top end, I'm 3:73 roll with Millenium tandem axle/wheel 25' 9T capable gn flat bed trailer pull a 6T backhoe with ease from time to time, short haul about 200 miles some small grade/hills mostly flat pull hills 55-70 depending if I get good enuff rolling start at bottom of hill, 75+ capable if I wanted to on flat ground.

1st I'd open it up let it breathe 4" exh/new downpipe, spotless clean rad/condenser, mite wanna call Heath Diesel www.heathdiesel.com for upgrade to ho pump, retuned fan clutch, 9 blade fan, fresh injectors, stock set will probably be all you'll need, PMD remote, pretty much all stuff in my sig will help you, with 5:13 you may have enuff grunt to not need the IC, talk to Heath to see what they say I'll assume they have a chip for 5:13 gears but don't know for sure, you can always add IC later if you want.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking about omiting the IC, don't think it wil work w/ the huge springs of the 3500HD too well.

What does everyone recommend for an overhaul kit and gaskets?

Does it hurt to mix and match cooling kits? I would like to kennedy for the cooling kit, but what is the deal with the calibrated clutch? What temp is it calibrated for? I don't want to have the fan kicking in all the time. I might go w/ another clutch. Also, what is the factory temp for the 6.5? I kind of like to stay closer to the factory side of the temperature, and other things. (wallet and dealer parts dept. know it :banghead:) Thats why I asked Kennedy about the parts sources, the crossover pipe, t-stat outlet is all GM (yes, i'm that paranoid :eek:ut:)

Also, is it true that the D-max fan is bolt on and is only 40 bucks at the Dealer?

Does anyone have a recommendation on exhaust? I want to go with SSDiesels because they are stainless.
Additionally, would it be wise to stay away from cotton gauze air filters? I'm planning on just going with a newer style round filter housing. Also, on the round filter housing, is there only one for HD 6.5s, or do i need to find a specific year?

Also, is it true that the D-max fan is bolt on and is only 40 bucks at the Dealer?

The early D-Max plastic fans are 4-bolt and will fit the 6.5 with some minor trimming of the shroud. I know the '01 model has the correct hub to mount up. As for the price, list price is a little over $80, so I'd be surprised if you could get your hands on a new one for under 60.

Back