• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5.9lt gas to 5.9lt diesel engine swap

Jay's94TD

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guy's, I recently got a great deal on 2 trucks. a 1997 ram2500 ex-cab shortbed 4x4 with a 5.9 gasser in it, and a 1993 ram 250 ex-cab long bed 2wd 5.9 diesel. They are both auto trans. I have always wanted the '97 ex cab s/b 4x4 in a diesel. I know it can be done and i'm sure i will have to swap out the torque converter and valve body, but is there anyother suprizes that i'm not thinking about? I'm sure someone has done a simular swap before. I did a '85 suburban a few years ago from a 454 to a 6.2lt with the after market turbo. Any suggestions??? Thanks):h

Strip all the gasser (patooie!) stuff outta the '97, incl all the engine bay and cabin harnesess and instrument cluster and ECM, front and rear suspension\axles - get and install the engine bay and cabin harnesses instrument cluster and ECM from a '94-'97 Diesel truck, then transfer all the mechanicals from the '93, but use the 47RH from the '94-'97 to get the TCC - it's as complicated as how much '97 convenience you want to get working and functional

The problem that you'll run into is that the motor mounts were changed in 1994 with the new body style.

This is the biggest problem with doing the swap with pre-94 CTD.

But, as long as you can fab, you shouldn't have a problem.

Back