• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4x4 actuator blues

chi2

Reaction score
4x4 will not engage on my truck. When I shift into 4H nothing happens- front axle is not engaged, no lights are illuminated on the floor 4x4 shifter, etc. I have power going to the actuator, so I believe that the wiring is good but actuator is toast.

After doing some research on the issue, I see that three types of remedy are proposed: 1) buy a replacement thermal actuator (as found on my year truck); 2) use a non-thermal, newer version of the actuator; or, 3) use an aftermarket mechanical device, the "Posi-Lock" system.

So I am pretty well sold the Posi-Lock system, but I have read several posts by people who are not happy with it.

Aside from price and installation requirements (which, btw do not seem too complicated), what are the disadvantages of running a mechanical Posi-Lock system instead of the electric switch?

Jon

Mines doing the same thing. I noticed it get weak this summer so I just had to buy a new actuator today. Can't get the old gas ones anymore so I'm stuck with the new electronic ones for 3x the price :eek:

Primer, It looks like we have the same year truck. Did you purchase the newer actuator, with the harness to retrofit it to our year truck? If so, why didn't you go with the Posi-Lock system?

Jon

Mines doing the same thing. I noticed it get weak this summer so I just had to buy a new actuator today. Can't get the old gas ones anymore so I'm stuck with the new electronic ones for 3x the price :eek:

Yes. I spent the $400.00 on an actuator and harness. I haven't had a chance to refresh my memory on installing one of these yet.

Honestly, I didn't know about the Posi-Lock system until I read your message.

Yes. I spent the $400.00 on an actuator and harness. I haven't had a chance to refresh my memory on installing one of these yet.

Honestly, I didn't know about the Posi-Lock system until I read your message.

WOW!!! $400 for the actuator kit!! Was that CANADIAN? I spent $125 for mine about 3 years ago. I went with the newer actuator simply because I didn't want to have another cable to activate 4X4.

Thanks for your input TFMR. About the only functional criticism of the Posi-Lock system that I have found is just what you indicated: it adds to the complexity of engaging 4x4. In other words, you have two sets of levers (on my truck it would be the Posi-Lock cable under the dash and the level on the cab floor).

The other criticism I see is price. Posi-Lock is about $100.00 more than the newer actuator system.
Jon

WOW!!! $400 for the actuator kit!! Was that CANADIAN? I spent $125 for mine about 3 years ago. I went with the newer actuator simply because I didn't want to have another cable to activate 4X4.

4x4 will not engage on my truck. When I shift into 4H nothing happens- front axle is not engaged, no lights are illuminated on the floor 4x4 shifter, etc. I have power going to the actuator, so I believe that the wiring is good but actuator is toast.

After doing some research on the issue, I see that three types of remedy are proposed: 1) buy a replacement thermal actuator (as found on my year truck); 2) use a non-thermal, newer version of the actuator; or, 3) use an aftermarket mechanical device, the "Posi-Lock" system.

So I am pretty well sold the Posi-Lock system, but I have read several posts by people who are not happy with it.

Aside from price and installation requirements (which, btw do not seem too complicated), what are the disadvantages of running a mechanical Posi-Lock system instead of the electric switch?

Jon

Had the same problem about 3 years ago with my actuator. Bought the posilock system. No problems at all, works everytime I want to use 4x4, don't disengage if you shut off the engine as the stock system
and works also great in 2L when manouvring heavy trailers on tarmarq.

I HAD NO DISADVANTAGES TILL TODAY !

Cu,
Sven

I have had a couple thermal gizmos die.
Its never in a handy place either.
The whole concept of over engineering these rigs boggles my mind.
The older trucks were never an issue, ya got out and gave the Hubs a twist when the going started to look bad and that was that.
When you were back on the hard top you took a second or two and unlocked the hubs.

Now the rigs dont even have a lever to put them in 4x4. This all started when the yuppy urbanites glamorized the "SUV" (hate that term"

They are trucks and always will be.

I want the 4x4 to work at the pull of a lever. I dont need a computer to tell me when I need 4x4 or to get in my way when I am trying to stop on ice and snow.

Nothing more anoying than trying to stop and have the brakes fail to work and get nothing but a buzzy noise and a jumpy brake pedal.

Twist the 4x4 knob on the dash and nothing happens and I have 40 miles of snowy road to travel.

OMG, what were they thinking.

The Caddy Escalade is a real pretty rig BUTTTTTTTTTTT this is not what 4x4's are supposed to be.

A truck does not need a computer to be reliable, get good mileage and have plenty of power.
A truck does not need a computer to run the brakes or shift the tranny either.
The little computer up on top of my shoulders can run the brakes and decide when to engage the 4x4.

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it becomes to stop up the drain.

Steps down off soapbox :D

MGW

How do you really feel? :lmao:

I totally agree, and I am switching up to a mechanical system for engaging the 4x4. I'll take some pictures of the Posi-Lock install when I do it. :thumbsup:

I have had a couple thermal gizmos die.
Its never in a handy place either.
The whole concept of over engineering these rigs boggles my mind.
The older trucks were never an issue, ya got out and gave the Hubs a twist when the going started to look bad and that was that.
When you were back on the hard top you took a second or two and unlocked the hubs.

Now the rigs dont even have a lever to put them in 4x4. This all started when the yuppy urbanites glamorized the "SUV" (hate that term"

They are trucks and always will be.

I want the 4x4 to work at the pull of a lever. I dont need a computer to tell me when I need 4x4 or to get in my way when I am trying to stop on ice and snow.

Nothing more anoying than trying to stop and have the brakes fail to work and get nothing but a buzzy noise and a jumpy brake pedal.

Twist the 4x4 knob on the dash and nothing happens and I have 40 miles of snowy road to travel.

OMG, what were they thinking.

The Caddy Escalade is a real pretty rig BUTTTTTTTTTTT this is not what 4x4's are supposed to be.

A truck does not need a computer to be reliable, get good mileage and have plenty of power.
A truck does not need a computer to run the brakes or shift the tranny either.
The little computer up on top of my shoulders can run the brakes and decide when to engage the 4x4.

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it becomes to stop up the drain.

Steps down off soapbox :D

MGW

If I told you how I really feel it would take a week to read :D and would probably be sensored or at least rated "R"

My feelings run deep. Part of the reason we have all the current issues in this country stem from the same form of thinking that has brought us the rest of this crap that we have to deal with.

The engineering and production costs to manufacture all these high tech solutions to non existant problems cost big $$$ to pay for and more $$$ to fix when they go south.

12 feet of wire, switches, sensors and other equipment to do what can be done with a simple mechanical device that never fails. Hmmmmm what is wrong with this scenario ???

MGW

Last edited:
Back