• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E troubleshoot

Reaction score
ok so my wife took my 95 K2500 to work the other morning and had to come back home cause it would not shift past 2nd gear, mind u it was 0 degrees. i looked at it that evening and had no problems with it. i checked the fluid and test drove it with no problems. now a week later i noticed that it is running higher trans temps.

it is a Jasper brand trans. last summer i changed the fluid/ filter, installed a B&M deep trans pan, larger B&M trans cooler out front, and a trans temp gauge. it use to normally run between 120 to 140 depending on driving style, without heating up fast. now in the last week it is heating up quickly ( 5 miles rural, under 55) and is running around 160 degrees.

Any Ideas on what could have happened? thanks

The trans temp of 160 isn't bad. How are your coolant temps? The trans is cooled through the rad so if the coolant is higher so will the trans temp.

Check for codes. Trans issues do not turn on the SES/MIL light.
Do you have all 4 gears including TCC lockup?
If the computer is unhappy you loose TCC and OD, 4th. This heats the trans up.

Last times I had trans heat issues was:
1) Bearing and sprag failed in OD and went through the OD gears. Trans ran very hot...
2) Lost a tire on a trailer and trans started heating up. Check tire pressure.

just an update trans had a bad solenoid and ended up getting stuck in 2nd gear. took it to the shop and 300$ later its shifting perfectly

Don't want to jack your thread but im having the same issue, No 3rd or overdrive, Do you know which solenoid was causing the problem,? 98 yukon 5.7 4x4. I dont even know if I have the 4l60e or 4l80e.

Don't want to jack your thread but im having the same issue, No 3rd or overdrive, Do you know which solenoid was causing the problem,? 98 yukon 5.7 4x4. I dont even know if I have the 4l60e or 4l80e.

You can replace ALL of the electrical components in a 4l60e or a 4l80e for around $135 See my thread in this section of the forum on installing the electrical kit. There is a link to the vendor that I bought the kit from.

Newbie here just thought I would mention Grounds, grounds, grounds its all about the grounds. Been thinkin about them wopdchucks chuckin wood lately.....

Back