• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E transmission - keep torque convertor?

Well, I had originally planned to do just that, but then I read through this thread and it looked like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

@SnowDrift out of curiosity what year is the transmission and how much are you asking for it.. you're only one state over from me ..
Pretty sure my tranny is getting ready to go again. My truck is a 97 ..I have a spare transmission out of a 2000 3500 with a 5.7 in it. But not sure if it's compatible, so looking for other options.

@THEFERMANATOR is the knowledgeable one here, but iirc he had posted somewhere that 96+ were all the same other than maybe the style main connector as they got newer. 95 was almost the same but had different sensors because of the OBD1 system. 94- had a different valve body and has a solenoid that would back flush something in the body (can't recall the exact wording) I would guess the tranny would work in your 97 @Stoney Though I do recall some 4l80's didn't have the upper most bell housing bolt hole due to some of the gasser engines they mated to didn't have a bolt there and used a dowel pin. I may be wrong though.

Yes. They are the two sensors one the driver side of the transmission easily changed from the outside, While installed in the rig. Same sensor used in either location and in some rigs one is also used on the transfer case. 95% of them are the same- just a few hmmwvs got different ones for a short time. This is what I have read- I haven’t ever seen one that wasn’t the normal one.

Back