• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E TCC unlocking when it shouldn't

Oldude

Reaction score
So my 1999 K3500 7.4l L29 4l80e 4 10 rear, hits all the gears and semi locks up when it should on acceleration, then when you get out of the throttle to maintain your speed it falls out of lockup.

It's like you reduced the throttle to 0 and lockup releases, but it happens about 10% throttle.

I setup two PIDs in torque pro to investigate, one monitors the gear it's in the other is TCC slip rpms. I first thought it was falling out of 4th gear but found out it's staying in 4th when this happens. It would never fully loch with a slip of 200~ rpm, then if you apply power it creeps up to 700ish before fully kicking down for power.

I was convinced I would need to go thru the 190000 mile trans, then I got it out on it's first road trip (for me) yesterday and found out it kinda has a second lockup that brings the slip to 0 or .5 rpm or some other acceptable number under 5 rpm slip. It's like it has a 2 stage TCC event.

So I'm basically piss ignorant on this 4l80e platform, but I'm suspecting a pressure regulator or solenoid/PWM issue.

Any suggestions are welcome. The trans internal harness was replaced before I get the truck so I'm assuming the grit was cleaned from the pan. Also it's not an intermittent issue, it screws up reliably.

Thanks for looking
Oldude

@ak diesel driver

It actually does the same cold and at op temp. You have to keep your foot in the throttle a little to keep it locked even at it's first "stage" at any temp.

Also forgot to mention, the TPS voltage is stable. I even tried a different TPS just to verify.

I'll check both.

Right now we're prepping for 12deg nights, in Texas...

The distributor has been changed, twice before I got it. Not sure if it has been "timed". Might that be a factor? Also crank position sensor has been changed before I got it.

Back