• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e shudder

Jaytee

Reaction score
My 96 4x4 diesel 4l80e has a shudder when the torque converter locks up in overdrive and or drive. I had the oil flushed and filter changed but no difference still shuddering. I found a 4l80e tranny out of a 1995 diesel 4x4 with 80000 miles versus my 240000 miles will it or or will there be mounting problems?

Thanks for the reply would a new torque converter fix this problem or is the different tranny the best way to go.

Without tearing yours down, you don't know exactly whats going on. I know my 95 4l80e would slip the converter at light loads, but under heavy loads was fine. Pretty sure mine was a valve body problem. A new converter isn't that expensive, and for not much more money you can pick one up with a billet apply piston which is a much stronger setup.

Are there other 4l80e for my 96 4x4 6.5l truck that would be a direct replacement. 97+ . I looked at the 95 tranny and it didn't have the bosses for the cable and the electrical connectors were different.

95 and 96 externally directly interchange. 94 is simiar, but uses mechanical shift linkage instead of a cable. 97+ changed the cooler line hookups. This info applies to truck transmissions as van and RV units can be custom tailored to the chassis.

Thanks Therm.. I'm guessing the trans. The guy is selling is a 94 then it had a no bosses to mount my neutral safety. I still keep looking for a 95+ even 97+ sounds ok if I'm only dealing with cooler lines I can make it work.

Back