• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E shift indicator lights

great white

Reaction score
Found while reading some 4L80E stuff.

No idea if it works or not.

Use at your own risk:

This will show you in real time whats really being comanded.

Parts- all from radio shack cheap
1-Three 12v LEDs They can be different colors(NO LIGHT BULBS WILL NOT WORK)
2-Some sort of bevel to mount them in Or you can mount them in a panel in your car permanent.
3-Three lengths of wire. Perferably different colors to avoid confusion.
4-Blue side wire splicers the type you use pliers to push down the tab to make a splice.

Ok you want to hook the three wires to the following in the harness either at the trans or find them at the PCM
A-Light green wire. This is the 1-2 shift solenoid.
B-Yellow with black stripe. This is the 2-3 shift solenoid
C-Tan wire with black stripe. This is the lockup (TCC)
solenoid.

Do not cut the wires use the slicers and connect your wires one to each and then run them into the car.
Inside the car take each wire and hook up to the negative side of the LEDs choose which ones you want to represent each solenoid.
Tie the POSITIVE side of all the LEDs together and run a wire to a 12v switched source(radio fuse)

Ok now its simple

(1-2)on and (2-3) on is 1st gear
(1-2)off and (2-3) on is second gear
(both off ) is 3rd gear
(1-2)on and (2-3) off is 4th gear
TCC on means your converter should be locked.

This IMO is cool and helpful no more will you wonder if that 2-3 shift that hit the limiter was tuning or trans related and you will know the time from comand to actual shift watching when the lights iluminate and feeling when the shift happens. This could be usefull when setting shift poits since the time is a constant.

No more wondering wether your converter not being locked is a tuning or transmission issue you will see when and if the PCM comands lockup and this can all be done for less than $10 and 30 minutes setting it up.

Hope someone finds this usefull was thinking I have explained this a dozen times to people trying to solve various lockup and shifting issue and may or may not have scanner tools and its proved invaluable to them so why not just post it for anyone who might wanna make a new toy/gadget.

I will be attempting it, sounds neat and I'm a bit of a freak for monitoring stuff......YMMV.

With a little bit of decoding (1 2$ micro controller) you could decode those lines into 5 LED's for 1,2,3,4 and OD. I don't mean the whole hardware side of the project will cost 2$ just the chip. A little code will be needed also.

Heck...if you did something like this esp with that controller you could prob make a few and sell them, I know I would buy something like this for sure!

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

I meant 1,2,3,4 and TCC. If there would be enough interest, I will think about how much this would really cost to do.
On a side note what do the aftermarket 4L80E controllers cost?

I meant 1,2,3,4 and TCC. If there really would be enough interest, I will think about how much this would really cost to do.
On a side note what do the aftermarket 4L80E controllers cost?

Leroy (burning oil) sells the optishift unit for $549.99 on his site, was looking at it last night for one of my trucks.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Back