• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E ?s

hookedup50

Reaction score
The transmission in my 97 gave up the ghost, and was the mystery rattle from a post of mine from last summer. I need a replacement and some direction or advice. I'm on the the fence as to send my tranny to have rebuilt locally or get a rebuilt/remanufactured unit shipped here and send back core. From what I read, the friction color should be red and blue is overkill for the 6.5. My main question is torque converter and stall speed. I rarely tow anything but a small boat or sometimes fill the bed with max weight but only locally. and I don't think this is anything I want to rebuild myself, even though I've watched the rebuild process several times. Thanks in advance.

Better converter clutch for sure. A standard rebuild with standard parts otherwise is fine. So far so good on the Yank converter thrown at a unknown mile used transmission. It was slipping the TC clutch before I swapped the Yank in. The only better clutches you should get is the joke of a small overrun clutch for compression braking.

I would get local shop prices and see what their online reviews are. I get mine rebuilt for $1200 in and out locally. A stronger build would cost more of course.

I stalled mine at 2400 RPM per recommendation from videos I sent to Yank. You should call them and discuss your ride and they can dial it in better.

Although it wakes things up and will spool the turbo from a brake stall it does let the engine spin at 1500-2000 RPM at 35 MPH. I get a good RPM drop by hammering the TCC override switch. So the in town high unlocked RPM is the only downside. I do not have any increased temps or reduction of MPG. Note if you do brake stand it: things warm up.

I have done burnouts in reverse with a trailer, laid rubber down on the road, and most of all, haven't broke it. There are other brands out there, but, only one brand in my ride. Do use locktight on the converter bolts and replace the flex plate while you are there... Red locktight goes on the crank bolts!

Thank you WW. I plan on installing the same transfer case as no known issues have come up and no money at the moment for rebuild of that. Is a stock flexplate ok? or should I consider some of the better/stronger one as opposed to a stamped oem one.

I don't know of anyone that makes an upgraded flexplate. IMO they fail from age and a new one is just cheap insurance esp with a stall converter. I don't see the need for an upgraded one.

Back