• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e rebuilt

Anvil1773

Reaction score
First off I didn't fill the tranny to full level. I added what I was told for a fresh system of nearly 4 gallons. It has a after market dip stick, so by this I though I had sufficient fluid.
Was able to finally drive it and all was great. 200 miles and it no longer had forward movement. Reverse was fine. I was so aggravated it was parked for 4 years. I finally got motivated to look it over. I dropped the pan and less than a gallon came out. I am confused as to why so little came out. The pan had a lot of sludge,friction material of clutch pack. Replaced solenoids and internal pressure plate and harness. While at NAPA I asked how much fluid is used in a filter replacement, just shy of 2 gallons. I replaced filter and pan and filled with 2 gallons of fluid. Tried moving the truck. It moved. I was elated, but I can not go faster then 10mpg and the transmission acts like it slips into neutral, does not feel like slipping. I am at a loss as to why it is acting this way.
The truck is a 96 k2500 suburban with a 6.5 td. I noticed today the abs light is on if that has any effect?

Last edited:
Back