• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80E problem

J.Peart

Reaction score
having a weird problem with my trans. it drives just fine, but sometimes 1st doesn't engage. its not slipping, its like its in neutral. it only happens once, and then drives normally the rest of the trip.

it always happens right after starting up, but it doesn't always do it. I'll reverse, stop, and then go to drive and the truck just sits while the engine revs. it will either then engage drive after a second or ill shift to park and drive again and it works fine. if i don't have to reverse and just drive straight off it sometimes happens when i stop to turn from the parking lot to the road (within 30-40 seconds of starting).

Whats going on? I don't know whole lot about auto trans so hopefully someone can give me a pointer.

a little history.

when i got the truck two years ago had trans shop check it out. fluid was varnished. had been overheated but trans guy said there was no damage. flushed the fluid. no trans problems up to this point.

motor problems last sept. truck sat for about 8 months without driving while i got the money and parts for a rebuild. fluid level is normal.

Back