• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E Possibilities?

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Looking for a little more info on interchangeability on the 4L80E transmission. The transmission in my truck is on its last leg. 236K of plowing has taken its toll and i dont think im going to make it through the winter. It more feels like im having torque converter issues. Shudders/studders when downshifting from O/D sometimes. I cant afford to rebuild it, so i was looking to find a used unit. What years would i have to find. From what it sounds like 94' is a special one year only design, wonderful for me.

94 is a 1 year design, but the beuty of it is that any of the newer model years will work in it with some slight modifications. You can't put a 94 into a 95 or newer, but a 95 or newer will drop in and can be made to work in a 94. A 95-96 will be a direct swap pretty much, and a 97+ can be made to work with the adapter fittings for the cooler lines.

Have the same issue. Located a tranny from a big block gasser, '95 vintage. What needs to be "modified" to swap it in?
TIA.

Have the same issue. Located a tranny from a big block gasser, '95 vintage. What needs to be "modified" to swap it in?
TIA.

If your swapping a 95 gasser into a 94 diesel, all you need to do is swap to a diesel torque converter, and swap out the shift shaft since a 95 uses a cable and 94 uses a mechanical linkage.

Back