• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e lock up problem

haakon

Reaction score
Hi,ive got a problem vith my tranny a 4l80e 99mod.

when cruising in overdrive and meet a hill so the tranny goes out of overdrive it vibrates mutch.
ive also heard it in first gear once at idle,sounded like it engaged the lock up.. if i downshift to third manually,no sound..oil and filter fine..

also when hot,and in reverse,and pushing the gas pedal it sounds like it dies and when off the gas pedal it "gasses" a second and black smoke.. any ideas?

parden my english,im Norwegian:hihi:

Pull codes. It looks like you have an engine problem rather than a transmission problem. Lack of power can cause a downshift. I would check for codes and look at the waste gate, vacuum pump, solenoid, and vac lines. The black smoke looks like low boost and the vac system is the likely cause.

No black smoke driving forward,ever,and runs great..im pretty shure the lock up engages in reverse..

could it be the converter clutch? draging when it shouldnt? its worst when hot..

Get the 1999 to a shop that can read the trouble codes out of the computer. It will tell you if the TCC is dragging or the trans is having issues. Still sounds like a engine problem.

Back