• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E for 5 spd std. swap question

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
There's a guy close to me with a truck for sale that is basically an exact match to mine, except he's got a standard transmission instead of the 4L80E I have. Same year, model, chassis, etc.

What kind of job would it be to swap the transmissions out, truck for truck? I'd set them side by side in the shop and just swap parts out. Has anyone done it or know what it would take to do so?

The way I understand it that is the best way to do it.

I too have been thinking about this for my truck and if my auto ever goes that is probably what I will be doing.

The main thing I'm wondering about is what brackets are bolted or riveted in place that need to be changed out, are the transmission mount holes the same, etc?

Where does the clutch sleeve go through the firewall? There's a round "blank" on the inside in the insulation that looks like it can be removed. How many bolts hold the clutch pedal?

It appears the cutout "template" is already embossed in the hump in the center above the transmission where the shifter comes through, if it's oblong in shape, that is.

I believe the crossmember has to be moved foward about 1.5" and the trans mount hole needs to be drilled for the biger bolt.

I was lookin at a kit online, I googled "nv4500 conversion" and clicked on High Impact. They have a kit but it's very pricey. I could probably buy a donor for the price they are askin, probably even a cummins donor truck.

Theres a square slot for the master cylinder insert it and give it a 90* turn, and then connect to the clutch pedal, Im assusming you have that hole it just needs to be punched out. The clutch pedal just has to 2 buttons at the end of it, push the buttons in and insert it into the slot it fits it and the spring loaded buttons will pop out, knowing GM you prolly have that in our truck too. I think the swap would be pretty easier if you could source all the parts and the driveline lengths end up all being the same.

I see some things up underneath the dash that look as if they need some mating parts and are right in line with where the clutch pedal would be, so I'm guessing that's where they would sit.

I'll have a donor truck when I do this, so I'll have the column, cross members, etc. that I need.

Yeah, I looked at that kit and I agree - pricey compared to getting a donor and having a good set of parts to put back in.

Back