• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E fluid pan

FunkMaster

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1993 K2500 Suburban with the 7.4 and 4L80. I’m looking for an aftermarket tranny pan with a drain plug but there seems to be a fitment issue with pre-1997 models.

I’ve found one or two increased fluid capacity units in the $200+ range but I’d like to be under $100, and prefer to be closer to OEM dimensions so I don’t have increased exposure to dragging rocks across it when I’m out playing with it.

Anyone know why most of the pans seem to be for 1997+ or if there’s an easy way to make them fit my 1993?

I’ve got a 1993 K2500 Suburban with the 7.4 and 4L80. I’m looking for an aftermarket tranny pan with a drain plug but there seems to be a fitment issue with pre-1997 models.

I’ve found one or two increased fluid capacity units in the $200+ range but I’d like to be under $100, and prefer to be closer to OEM dimensions so I don’t have increased exposure to dragging rocks across it when I’m out playing with it.

Anyone know why most of the pans seem to be for 1997+ or if there’s an easy way to make them fit my 1993?
Drain plug kits are available. Parts stores usually will have it in stock.
Requires removing pan, looking over the items above the pan, hanging from the transmission, then, in the approximate area of a cavity, drill the proper size of a hole into the pan. Install the drain plug kit and then, new filter, put the pan back on, top with fluid and mission accomplished.
I install a drain plug kit into every transmission pan that I remove.

Drain plug kits are available. Parts stores usually will have it in stock.
Requires removing pan, looking over the items above the pan, hanging from the transmission, then, in the approximate area of a cavity, drill the proper size of a hole into the pan. Install the drain plug kit and then, new filter, put the pan back on, top with fluid and mission accomplished.
I install a drain plug kit into every transmission pan that I remove.

That was my next move if I couldn’t find an aftermarket one that fit my budget. I looked at a few kits online, but I prefer the recessed style in one made that way over the more obtrusive way an aftermarket option tends to be. I’ll have to go that route though if such a pan doesn’t exist and hope I don’t bust it off on a rock.

That was my next move if I couldn’t find an aftermarket one that fit my budget. I looked at a few kits online, but I prefer the recessed style in one made that way over the more obtrusive way an aftermarket option tends to be. I’ll have to go that route though if such a pan doesn’t exist and hope I don’t bust it off on a rock.
Install the plug kit towards the bottom of the verticle drop of the pan on the back side, but, not on the curvature to the bottom of the pan.
That will have the plug out of harms way and still be able to drain out the biggest share of the fluid.

The pan bolt patterns are all the same. Up to 96 they used a shallow filter, starting in 97 the fluid cooler lines changed from both being at the bellhousing to the outlet at the bellhousing, and the return was at the mid point. Around that time they also changed to a slightly deeper pan. So long as you use the correct filter for the pan, you should be fine. The only reason I can think of why the aftermarket pans only work on 97+ is they are so deep that they use a bracket to hold the filter in place instead of the bottom of the pan, the valve bodies and internal pipe routing changed in 97, and there filter retention bracket will not bolt up to the pre 97 valve body.

Back