• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E dipstick doesn't seem to go all the way down and pops up while driving 1995 6.5

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
On the 1995 6.5 diesel Tahoe the transmission dipstick does not go all the way in. You can push it in and flip the tab, but it feels like the dipstick is springing in the tube. Sometimes it feels like it goes all the way down

It pops up about 1/2" from being fully seated. The bends in the stick seem the same as the others. Should I try swapping with another vehicle?

Were the dipsticks all the same for the GMT400 6.5 diesel with 4L80E's?

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Welcome to the club. Mine does the same thing, but, has some rubber left locking it in the tube. Long as it seals you are fine.

I've overfilled it a couple of times. Before I noticed that the stcik wasn't always going all the way down.

How bad is it to be about 1/2" overfull in a 4L80E?

How bad is it to be about 1/2" overfull in a 4L80E?

They're pretty roomy in the case, but I wouldn't go much more than that.

When they're WAAYY over full they do stupid things like growl, shift funky, blow the dip stick out, blow seals and eventually puke it out the vent at the top.

Back