• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80E Cooler

arupert

Reaction score
I once used a ac condensor as a tranny cooler and it worked great but did have a pres drop resulting in poor cold performance. I noticed the flat plate type advertise less preasure loss and that they seem to take a small size for the same GVW rating. While cruising the juny yard I noticed that most HD asian automatics use a fat cooler with less but wider passages, also that HD hydrolic equip use something that looks llike a heater core.
Are the thin plate type built just for ease of installation compromising absolute efficency?
What type of cooler do you'all recommend?

well, pressure is important, too little and slippage occurs as you know. as far as what I run and researched-I purchased a 28k lb gvwr cooler to replace my original front, then moved the original to under the truck with a thermosat. Yes its a moderatly insane twist, but the pressure is ok, and temps run 160 normal and 200 with trailer in summer. A TCC lock switch is important. also, make sure the tranny case is clean as a thick dirt/grease covered case will run warmer.

Back