• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e behind high hp/tq 6bt or the 47re

What is your input on this?

• 4l80e still working

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 4l80e problems

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 47re still working

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 47re problems

• different trans

• I did good with using the 47re

• use the 4l80e

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • use the 47re

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

hereismylife

formerly j k auto
Reaction score
I am wondering some input for the guys with high hp/tq 6bt with the 4l80e. I am just wondering if your trans is holding up.

I went with the 47re and have no problems yet. I did a lot of research when I did my build. I just would still like to know was it all worth it to me so to speak going with the 47re over the 4l80e trans

All input is welcome..

I would say the good thing about the 47re is that it has gone through all the crap and breaking everything apart phase and can be built to hold the power.
The 4l80 is just as capable though, build it right and it will hold the power fine. Suncoast has a new 4l80 package available.

I personally like the 4L80E over the 47RE, but the drawback is that the the adapter plate is pretty pricey if you buy a new one or even a used one. And the 47RE can be built to hold some serious HP whereas the 4L80E hasn't ever really been pushed that way as GM never put it behind that kind of power.

I think it was Mike L that built the 4L80E in the Duramax powered Grand National, I think it's on www.18to1.com Though it's not advertised as much I think Suncoast and ATS both have 4L80E packages, others too.

I did call ats and they mainly deal withg dodge stuff.....lol
I,ve been checking stuff out making calls & searching to see what I am going to do.

Thanks for all the input so far:thumbsup:

I know NOTHING about these folks, just googled and found:
ExtremeAutomatics.com They apparently build 4L80Es to specifically back CTDs
Tow Matrix by Transmission Exchange

I really think you should PM Mike L and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to call them N see what they do to get the trans to live.

Also can you tell me about mike L.

thanks

Mike L...owns, I believe is the right word, Inglewood Transmission in CA. If you ever go browse dieselplace.com he has probably contributed the most technical knowledge about the allison as well as most anything transmission related. If you read a lot of people signatures over there they'll have a Mike L tranny or parts, or some help from him. I think between he and Eric Merchant they have contributed the most tech info.

I know when I'm in a position to put money into my truck in the form of transmission work I will call Mike. From all of the positive feedback I've read, and all of the testimonials on sites like this, he'll be my guy.

I've been toying with the thought of building an all out 4L85E for the Duramax. The biggest problem right now is the overdrive planet. If this problem can be overcome, it will be a great option. These smaller transmissions do well in light trucks but when you put them behind 7.000 trucks with a lot of hp they don't do so well. The hard parts get beat up pretty good.
I built the 4L85E behind the 18 To 1 Grand National using a brand new 4L85E for the Duramax van. It turned out to be cheaper because it had hardened parts from the factory. The converter is a Precision Industries custom built triple clutch. Trans has a Transgo reprogramming kit with Alto power Pack clutches and a few of my tricks. Last I heard it was holding but remember the car weighs under 5,000 lb which makes a difference.

It's all about the weight....

I think from what I am reading on the forums it is about the weight of the vehicle.
I guess if the vehicle weight is low the 4l80e would hold great but for some reason the torque of the cummins and the high weight of the trucks it will not survive unless you don't race & keep the engine stock.:mad2::nonod:

I wonder why the 47 holds up so much better then the 4l80e? I even read that with billet parts it break the input shaft, intermediate shaft. and other billet parts just won't hold....

I just don't get it.

Thanks Guys for the input so far.:thumbsup:

Back