• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E 95, Shudder

Ozman88

Reaction score
3/4 ton 1995,Chevy, 180,000 miles. Picked up a shudder at 45mph. Less or more throttle makes it go away. Passed stall test. Seems to be happening more often,no flash codes set. Please advise. 5.7 l engine. Thx.

No ,I hace not. I do know that the dont have the classic thud or clang noise. Will check them out thou, Thx.

I’m not a trans guy but there are a few here that may know what else to look for.

Since it’s doing it at 45, is it doing before or after going into overdrive?

Will do it in or out of overdrive. Personally I think its the torque converter starting to go. Trying to verify before reacting.

The torque converter locks around 45 in overdrive if I remember right. Hopefully as soon as some of the other guys see this they’ll be more help than I am.

Get to the speed it does it at, then shift gears so the ron changes but vehicle speed stays same.
Also see if it occurs at exactly half or double the speed.

These are indicators of it being something other than the transmission- which is usually a happier diagnosis to the wallet.

Hey Will thanks for the intel. When going into overdrive that starts the shuddering. Sitting at idle there is a light metallic tick.Trans does not slip. Runs strong.

Check brake switch isn't stuck on. Get up to 50 mph, I assume, you have problem there to? Otherwise 45 mph. Tap the brakes and see if it stops shuddering. If so tcc is unlocking with brakes.

Any codes?

Don't forget if the engine has problems the extra load of tcc lock brings it out. Egr failure, worn plugs etc.

Slipping tcc will be caught by ecm before you notice.

Thank-you WAR WAGON! Will check now. I do know that the parking brake lamp is on due to broken return spring .

Mine did that - but it is a Diesel - however the shudder is usually bad trans fluid or partially clogged pan filter contributing to causing low line pressure . Have you changed it recently - mine did this when I put in synthetic trans fluid. I then put in a can of Seafoam Trans Tune, it got really much better and acrtually stopped, then I dropped the pan and turned up the force motor one quarter turn - and refilled with fresh old school straight petroleum trans fluid - and because I have a line pressure gauge permanently connected - it raised my running line pressure to around 100 unless I stomp it and then goes slightly higher and holds tight. 1-2 shift is a bit crisp - but not enough to notice. At idle it still goes to 40 to 45. The force motor part is known as the epc solenoid a Borg Warner 50080 Transmission Solenoid Electronic Pressure Control (epc). I am pretty sure if fits 1991 and up.

Mine did that - but it is a Diesel - however the shudder is usually bad trans fluid or partially clogged pan filter contributing to causing low line pressure . Have you changed it recently - mine did this when I put in synthetic trans fluid. I then put in a can of Seafoam Trans Tune, it got really much better and acrtually stopped, then I dropped the pan and turned up the force motor one quarter turn - and refilled with fresh old school straight petroleum trans fluid - and because I have a line pressure gauge permanently connected - it raised my running line pressure to around 100 unless I stomp it and then goes slightly higher and holds tight. 1-2 shift is a bit crisp - but not enough to notice. At idle it still goes to 40 to 45. The force motor part is known as the epc solenoid a Borg Warner 50080 Transmission Solenoid Electronic Pressure Control (epc). I am pretty sure if fits 1991 and up.
They are also known for converter failure

Back