• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80 Fluid Change

RCpullerdude

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my transmission fluid. I have no clue what was ever done tranny maint. wise. I think it's nearing time to change the fluid, but I really don't feel comfortable doing a flush. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm thinking drop the pan, replace filter, and replace the fluid in the pan. Anything else?

2 ways work for me.
Unhook a tranny cooler line and extend it to a white bucket, have a friend add clean fluid while you idel out the bad using the tanny to pump itself out, just keep going until the fluid runs nice and red.
The other and is my fav. is to use a vaccum pump to suck some out every oil change and just replace it throughout the year, my .o2 hope it helps.

Adam in gautier

never flush a tranny! blew the seals out on my blazer with 80k on it! and yes i maintained it well prior. i would go with amsoil if you are keeping the truck a while and if not whatever you can afford...

2 ways work for me.
Unhook a tranny cooler line and extend it to a white bucket, have a friend add clean fluid while you idel out the bad using the tanny to pump itself out, just keep going until the fluid runs nice and red.

Adam in gautier

I will do the cooler line flush which is not really a machine flush.
May want to turn off the engine after every 1 quart to catch up.
It takes a lot of fluid but it will replace all the fluid including the one is TC. If you want to do this, use the synthetic ATF (like Amsoil) so you don't have to do it again for 50k miles.

I will do the cooler line flush which is not really a machine flush.
May want to turn off the engine after every 1 quart to catch up.
It takes a lot of fluid but it will replace all the fluid including the one is TC. If you want to do this, use the synthetic ATF (like Amsoil) so you don't have to do it again for 50k miles.

Which cooler line should be used?

The top one is easier to get to, but the bottom one will flush out the cooler in the radiator. (This is referring to the lines on the radiator.)

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my transmission fluid. I have no clue what was ever done tranny maint. wise. I think it's nearing time to change the fluid, but I really don't feel comfortable doing a flush. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm thinking drop the pan, replace filter, and replace the fluid in the pan. Anything else?

Thats all Id do..

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I am going to be shitching mine over to amsoil and I have a friend that owen's a shop with a trans. fluid changer. He said it's the best way to go. Now my trans. takes 17 qts. should I buy a couple extra to make sure or not worry about it?

Your plan seems fine. PM me if you are interested in member discount pricing on Amsoil.

Last edited:
I am going to be shitching mine over to amsoil and I have a friend that owen's a shop with a trans. fluid changer. He said it's the best way to go. Now my trans. takes 17 qts. should I buy a couple extra to make sure or not worry about it?

Having extra is always my recommendation, it really stinks if you miscalculate or worse yet, the dog knocks over a full quart. I also remember new oil running out of the still uninstalled drain plug of a Triumph Speed Triple, DOH! Stupid Beer.

What is the best tranny oil for my truck. 04 ram hemi automatic. Yeah don't laugh I know its a dodge and a gasser.

What if I'm not doing Amzoil ? I may not have the tim for a full flush and it would seem like a waste to mix them right ? Does it use dextron ?

What if I'm not doing Amzoil ? I may not have the tim for a full flush and it would seem like a waste to mix them right ? Does it use dextron ?

Sorry I misunderstood. A pan drop and change to Amsoil would be fine, but if you prefer to use conventional, DEX III is what was required.

GM is abandoning/retiring DEX III and is replacing it with DEX VI, which is "backwards compatible" according to the GM specs.

If you can find DEX III on the shelf somwhere it may be cheaper than DEX VI fluid and will work fine for you.

Ashton

Back