• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

$4300 Repair Bill

Clipper

Reaction score
OK, so I finally give up on trying to solve my "white smoke on start" problem, after changing out the glow plugs, fuel return lines, checking for fuel and return leaks, changing the return check valve, and even the fuel filter drain hose.

I take it to a guy 100 miles away who is well-known for quality work,
and for being an expert on the 6.5.

He diagnoses a bad injection pump.

He wants $1687 for a reman. $150 more for a new one, plus 405 to put it in.

I figure that's 400-700 dollars too much, but I'm in a hurry, he has my truck 100 miles away, I can't do the timing and TDC offset myself, and so I say go ahead. (He has charged me $300 in the past, just for timing the pump, which I thought was outrageous, but I can't find anyone in San Diego who knows how, other than dealers, and THEY won't set it to -1.94.)

Said he needed to pull the intake manifold...as far as I know, you don't NEED to pull the intake manifold to replace the IP...??!!

While he was doing this, I asked him how much he wanted to remove my hi-flow hi-pops and slap a set of standard injectors in it. He quotes me $800 installed! I said I thought that was outrageous, so he backs off (a little) and charges me $518 for the injectors, and $140 for the installation.

45 more for a fuel filter, plus 45 to install it...!!! Just appeared on the bill.
(Cost me 18 bucks for a fuel filter and 5 minutes to put it in and purge it.)

Now this next thing is after the IP and injectors are all back together, so he has to start afresh...I had a coolant leak that I couldn't figure out, and he said when he pressure-tested it, it was coming from "behind the timing cover." Needs a timing cover gasket and water pump gaskets

Now, I have done this job before, myself, took me all day...he says 8 hours, $700, including parts...??!!

Bottom line,
new IP,
new (standard) injectors,
new timing cover gaskets and water pump gaskets...
plus, he diagnosed a fuse problem that I had with the emergency flasher/cruise control...$45...
total bill, $4300.
Plus I give him an old IP core I have laying around....(I don't *have* to...)

When I protest, he says his "costs have gone up."

Now, I'm in Southern Calif., so costs *are* relatively high, and I don't begrudge a guy his living, or a reasonable profit, but...does anybody here think that this bill is...uh..."a little unreasonable," shall we say?

What *should* this work and these parts have cost me?
Any professional 6.5 guys here?

I have to go pick up the truck tomorrow, If I'm full of s*** please tell me so, but anything anyone can tell me that might get him to knock something off the price would be appreciated.

I do my own work sometimes, but I was busy and didn't have the time this week...for future reference, does anybody know a good 6.5 guy in the San Diego area? This is getting frustrating...

I think he's a crook. Pensacola Diesel has rebuilt pumps on ebay for $450, $650 with a new PMD. Leo
  • edit
    The intake does have to come off to change the IP, the only way to get the injection lines off, plus the pump has to move back.
Also the injectors are way over priced

Well, it is too late now. You have authorize him to do it. Otherwise, he will take your truck. I think you can do own fuel filter and some of the work that he did. There is a diagnostic checklist that can help you identify the problem before going to any mechanics.

Nowadays, when I go to a mechanic, I know what he needs to do, no more no less. In some cases, I even have the parts with me.

Well, it is a learning process. I certainly have done things like this in the past may be not exactly the same but it is a lesson learned type of decision.

Last edited:
Damn you could have bought a whole motor for that. It has been said time and time again and the reason this site (and it's predecessor) was created. Because if you plan to own a 6.5 you either:
A) Need to work on it yourself
or
B) Atleast be very knowledgable because most mechanics are not.
Sorry chief but you IMO got hosed big time.
First off what was the white smoke on start because that is pretty much normal in cold weather on these. Doesn't sound like an IP problem to me. It's not event he fact that he charged you top dollar for the work he did. It sounds to me like he changed parts till he found the problem if he found it. There are mechanics and then there are parts changers.

My engine rebuild is costing me about a grand less than that. ...but I'm doing the R&R myself.

Oh. And I'm not in a hurry, as I still have my trusty old gasser Suburban.

In my experience shops will F you on parts costs all day long. Bring your own stuff to the party then you know for sure what you have in the motor as well.

... I have been hosed by shops a few times myself, so I feel your pain.

Or with a bill like that just drop off the title and say "Merry Christmas bitches! You now own another truck."

I'm feeling for ya. I'm in a bit of a pinch myself also as my ip is busted also. My truck is still within the warranty period BUT it seems it has been imported outside of regular GM import channels to our country and if it is the dealers won't do it under warranty. They want about 1150$ for putting in a reman one and 2000$ for a new one plus labor. I have feared this so I've been putting off getting it to the dealer for so long the extended cranking times has cost me a starter and two new batteries as well. I have a suspicion the problem is the optic sensor so I'll probably try to get hold of one of these and install it myself if I don't find a way of getting this done under warranty..

To be honest I really can't afford this truck right now, but I do need a car that can pull our horses. And I think I would have to sell it dirt cheap to get rid of it up here, and wouldn't be able to replace it with anything less costly to maintain or anywhere near as practical to me. I hope the rainbow brings a pot of gold just large enough to fix her up properly because money issues makes me neglect the poor thing.. Hope you get the other end of that same rainbow Clipper(Would be one big ass rainbow though)!

I'm feeling for ya. I'm in a bit of a pinch myself also as my ip is busted also. My truck is still within the warranty period BUT it seems it has been imported outside of regular GM import channels to our country and if it is the dealers won't do it under warranty. They want about 1150$ for putting in a reman one and 2000$ for a new one plus labor. I have feared this so I've been putting off getting it to the dealer for so long the extended cranking times has cost me a starter and two new batteries as well. I have a suspicion the problem is the optic sensor so I'll probably try to get hold of one of these and install it myself if I don't find a way of getting this done under warranty..

To be honest I really can't afford this truck right now, but I do need a car that can pull our horses. And I think I would have to sell it dirt cheap to get rid of it up here, and wouldn't be able to replace it with anything less costly to maintain or anywhere near as practical to me. I hope the rainbow brings a pot of gold just large enough to fix her up properly because money issues makes me neglect the poor thing.. Hope you get the other end of that same rainbow Clipper(Would be one big ass rainbow though)!

Are you sure it is not the PMD? If it is still stock, chances are it is.

By the way, that is about the same price for putting a new IP here without warranty.

Are you sure it is not the PMD? If it is still stock, chances are it is.

By the way, that is about the same price for putting a new IP here without warranty.

I have sent thedole a PM, as the import company are stitching people up here... your on the right road JMNet ,like many of us that have had this sort of problem, but he should push it if the warranty is still valid.

No problem removing the old one with a filed down 3mm Allen key, tied with some fishing line on the other end so you don`t lose it Deep down in the Valley,, so you don`t have to remove aything, but i`m sure it`s had it`s day , buy one from Heath, there must be a reason that he gives us a 7yr warranty..

Sorry Clipper i am thinking about you Two,you have my Deepest...

In my experience shops will F you on parts costs all day long. Bring your own stuff to the party then you know for sure what you have in the motor as well.

When somebody brings their own parts we adjust the labor accordingly. You wouldn't go to a restaurant and take your own eggs would you.

I just hope the white smoke is gone...

Could look at it this way, if anything else needed to be done he probably would have done it. So, get use to that seat because your ass will be on it a few more years to break even.

With your lessons learned, hopefully his work matches his prices and you have a rock solid 6.5 for years to come.

Ofcourse it might be the pmd but I would expect it to get worse by time then, and in the beginning of this issue injector cleaning additives helped and cleared the issue a few times. Wouldn't help the pmd much would it? And it is a fsd as it isn't pump mounted anymore! =)

After reading posts like this,I feel sorry for those folks that have to go to the stealers and such for "repairs". I feel lucky indeed to be able to fix myself anything i put my mind too ,with the occasional help from this site on the 6.5 electronics.

Only thing i can say is, Learn to fix it yourself.

$4300.- is close to my entire parts bill for my 3 trucks and 3 tractors and all other farm equipment for 2008.And this included a complete 6.5 rebuild.

Biggest problem is not the wrench know how, biggest problem is that I only have one vehicle and if I run into a problem that requires me to go to a parts store or the likes I have to put it all back together again first. I did my last brake job at least three times due to sockets that cracked, bolts that needed replacement and need of more tools. Probably cost me more or the same as having someone else do it, but now I have the tools for it and know how it's put together + the satisfaction of doing it myself(and busted wheel speed sensors..). ;)

I guess I can put in my two cents. SHIT happens, and what is done is done. If you haven't paid him ask for a more reasonable price or tell him it is the last time you see him, if he is like I think he is, he will cut some off the bill: if you are still not happy then don't go back.

Everyone of us has been in this situation with a money decision at one time or another in our life. So Gather up those gonads and tell the mechanic / shop owner either more reasonable or last time here. Then take charge of the deal and do, or don't, go back.

Chill out you are not alone here, mistake yes, anything more than that? NO

We all have our stories which brought us here. I got ripped at the stealer too. Good thing the SOB went out of business cause I had eggs ready last halloween....:reddevil:

I brought mine to a stealership and after a month they couldnt diagnose or fix a no-start. They didn't charge me diagnostics though, because they couldnt diagnose it, otherwise it would have gone toward the repair. They did charge me for a new ECM, $230, because they insisted it was bad and wouldnt do anything unless they changed it. They were wrong, nothing wrong with the ECM. So got i back after a month still wouldnt start but only paid $230 for it to sit in their lot :) They went out of business 3 months later too. that was in southern LA.

I now live in on the central coast, and found very knowledgeable diesel mechanics on the 6.5, although they charge a lot for their expertise, $98/hr. They did cut back on charges after I complained, got rid of diagnostics fee and actually gave me some of the time back that I knew was saved by having it all done at once.

I brought my own parts in, so they werent making money off of them, another factor, but at the same time they cant warranty the work totally, because they could always blame it on your aftermarket part.

About $1300 to install new IP, new injectors, new Glo-Plugs and controller and OPS and fuel filter, Crank Sensor.

Was I still mad that it cost $1300, yeah, but Oh well. The only thing that really pissed me off is that they want to charge the labor rate book amount on stuff when it doesnt take them that much time, but when it went longer they wanted me to pay extra for the extra time they spent. Thats bull, which is why they took hours off. The crank sensor apparantly broke intwo when they were pulling it out, so they claimed it took 2 extra hours to get it out, which is bullcrap too, because all they did was drive a wood screw into what was left in the block and pulling it out. they also wanted to charge me more for replacing an injector that they broke a return nipple on when installing the hoses. They made me buy one of their stocked injectors, but took the extra time off the bill.

SSDS was nice enough to replace my broken Marine injector, even though their warranty says the return nipples arent covered. Luckily the shop put it in the drivers side front for me. Took me over a month to get the new marine injector, so the $45 the shop charged me for the new standard one was better than putting my 15 year old original back in. And now I have an extra.

Oh, and I had already paid like $1700 on all those new parts, so lots of fun, got a $5K truck, drove it for 4 months, died, sat for 8 months, now I have an $8K truck :) And then all my time and money to tow it around, although I got a Tow Bar that I rigged to the front bumper of it so I could haul it with another diesel truck.

Last edited:
Back