• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4-Low Question?????????????

DIYORPAY

Reaction score
While in four wheel drive in low range, does the torque converter lock up? or do i have to get above 45/50 mph?(it wont go that fast)

I knew i wouldnt get an answer without that question!! I was just thinking about that cause i pull my trucks at the local truck pull. I dont really compete with the big dollar trucks, but its fun and i beat the heck out of other 6.5 ers, and older fords and dodges! I was just wondering about a lock-up mod on the 95. or if its really needed.

I can't say I ever noticed. I have maxed out in 4lo but not long enough to notice it. i will now have to try it though.

Use a test lamp on the converter lock up wire. It will tell you.

Add manual lock up. Does your converter have what it takes not to slip under WOT and in 4 lo? It could be a hard stop on the engine/trans/etc letting up on the throttle after the pull with the TC locked up. AKA stops engine...

Use a test lamp on the converter lock up wire. It will tell you.

I can only do this on OBD 1. Correct?

Add manual lock up. Does your converter have what it takes not to slip under WOT and in 4 lo?

I have never noticed if it slips or not, and also, manual lock up can be added to OBD 1 only? Or can obd 2 have a lock up mod too? I would really like to have a lock up mod on my 96 , but , thought it wasnt possible.

Cool! I was going to try it this weekend and see or check if i could tell.
Thanks!

So I am planning on pulling this summer in my 6.5 so since you have done it before have any pointers. I just figure 4lo, drop the T-bars, drop the front tire PSI. What gear do you use? like 2 or just D?

I pretty much do as you said(drop t-bars,4 low,25 psi in front tires 40psi in rear) I use D and let it shift. Also hook as high as they let you. I tried clamping the rear springs once, but it made the truck bounce and had to let off.
Good luck!

Oh yah........ Run as much weight as they let you too. Try to put the extra weight(if needed) as far up front as possible.( I had to add 2300# of tractor weights to front of box and in the cab on my 95). Also get the rules from where you are going to pull cause everywhere i go seems to be different. One place lets me pull with the gas trucks with my 95, because i can make it under their weight limit.

Back