• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4" exhaust=galvanized pipe? question

All you need to weld stainless is a DC machine stainless rod, wire or filler & a tig torch. You can get by a little by using Nirod or Nickle rod I'll do that in a pinch or use Super missile or similar or Higher tensile rod like 9018.
+1 on the SSdiesel stainless 4" system.

Installed with no problems. I did take the clamps that came with it and tossed them in the misc parts box. Got stainless strap clamps http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-33224&N=700+0&autoview=sku which don't crimp the pipe so you can disassemble it.

They already paid for themselves when I had to remove the downpipe to pull the heads. Simply loosened the 2 bolts. Loosened the hanger bolts. Slid intermediate pipe etc back and down pipe forward and removed downpipe.

I fabbed up hangers using the stock rubbers and brackets. Took standard 4" u-bolt steel muffler clamps and 3/8 rod. Bent the rod so it would hold the pipe where needed and welded to the mufler clamp. Then I threaded the end where it went through the rubber part and put on a nyloc nut. If I was set up to weld stainless I'd have used the SSdiesel stanless clamps and stainless rod.

All you need to weld stainless is a DC machine stainless rod, wire or filler & a tig torch. You can get by a little by using Nirod or Nickle rod I'll do that in a pinch or use Super missile or similar or Higher tensile rod like 9018.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with flux core right now. Need to get a service for the shop so I can run my stick welder and couldn't justify getting the bottle and spool of wire for the wire feed just to make 8 2" welds.

Ghost, FWIW if I had that free material I would use it no doubt..... If you still have the truck in a few years when the economy is a boomin again (HOPEFULLY), then spend some coin with the SS.

Hopefully its some good stuff and doesn't rust... if it does, no biggy.

Ghost, FWIW if I had that free material I would use it no doubt..... If you still have the truck in a few years when the economy is a boomin again (HOPEFULLY), then spend some coin with the SS.

Hopefully its some good stuff and doesn't rust... if it does, no biggy.

yah, i appreciate all you guys chiming in, but thats probably what im going to do matt.. hell.. what is it going to cost me? 20-30 feet of flux core?!?! im just not looking forward to doing it all over again in 6 months.. but from what ive read, i should get about 2 years out of it at worse case.. plus, it bring a straight shot back (minus the axle hump) is a huge help):h

im pretty good at mig, so im confident on my welds, but i was curious as to the heat cycling effects on the galvanization..

yah, i appreciate all you guys chiming in, but thats probably what im going to do matt.. hell.. what is it going to cost me? 20-30 feet of flux core?!?! im just not looking forward to doing it all over again in 6 months.. but from what ive read, i should get about 2 years out of it at worse case.. plus, it bring a straight shot back (minus the axle hump) is a huge help):h

im pretty good at mig, so im confident on my welds, but i was curious as to the heat cycling effects on the galvanization..

I like little 'long term' experiements like this. Not much can withstand father time...
To avoid confusion, mine is still strong after 2 years.

If it is galvanized pipe weld in a well ventilated area, it can make you sick. Leo

That's an understatement, it can cause serious lasting lasting health problems. Wear a mask if welding it and you will be fine. Also as far as heat cycling goes, the center of muffler on our 1968 F-600 is galvanized, and if I remember correctly it doesn't have a spot of rust on it. That stuff is EXTREMELY durable.

Its probably electroststic galvanizing, they use electricity to pull the zinc onto the metal, like chrome plating.

Ive used it on gas engines and its never rusted yet. It it gets hot it will turn yellow.

If you weld it dont wear contact lenses. You body will absorb the heavy metals. You eyes will suck the heavy metals through the contacts fusing them to you eye. Most people think its the UV light that will melt it to your eye but its not. Flux also has heavy metals in it, you can feel your eyes suck the smoke in.

I went to collage to be a welder and got scared, I dont want to weld 8 hrs a day anymore. Lots of welders will have black kidneys on x-rays. :eek:

That should have been in bold, I know a kid that didn't know that, and had to go the emergency department to have his contacts removed after welding.

Back