• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4" exhaust=galvanized pipe? question

ghost183

Reaction score
im just throwing this out there for opinions/advice...

ive been offered 20 feet of 4" galvanized piping, a few 90* elbows and 45*

can i use this as exhaust tubing? i already have the DP and Xover, i can cut the flange off my current exhaust, enlarge the hole for the 4" and mig it, as well as migging the hangers, so thats not an issue.. but galvanized pipe as an exhaust? doable? any freaky stories or incidences i should know about before considerng this?

Anything is possible!

The real question is how much patience and time do you have?

lol... nooooo.. thats like 1/4 wall or something..

im almost sure its galvanized underground conduit.. came from a contract electrician, i carried both 10 foot sections to my garage, i would estimate their weight together about 40-50 pounds..

wall isnt than that thin either, its definatly thicker than regular exhaust tubing, maybe just shy of an 1/8 inch

does anyone know how well galvanized pipe holds up to heat cycling?

I used a piece of electrical conduit myself for my cat patch piece, turns out it wasn't galvanized just sure looked it, and its rusty as hell. Unless thats what the heat cycles did to it.

I used a piece of electrical conduit myself for my cat patch piece, turns out it wasn't galvanized just sure looked it, and its rusty as hell. Unless thats what the heat cycles did to it.

hmmm.. interesting..

from what ive read on galvanized pipes just now, the galvanization is actually a plating process.. its suppose to be impervious to temp, but at a steady temp.. i think heat cycling will probably kill the pipe waaaaay before its time.. damn... and it was free too!!!

just curious.. but how long did it last before it rusted to hell? a month? year? going on 5? lol..

I want to think the first winter did her in. Its still strong, but a really crusty/rusty.. just a patch pipe going into a rotted muffler... I need an exhaust bad... too bad Jardine's never came when I ordered it last year.. but thats another story........... another summer project for sure this year.

I want to think the first winter did her in. Its still strong, but a really crusty/rusty.. just a patch pipe going into a rotted muffler... I need an exhaust bad... too bad Jardine's never came when I ordered it last year.. but thats another story........... another summer project for sure this year.

matt??? you lost me pal.. lol

are you saying this was the first winter with that patch pc? so less than a year?

This is the 3rd winter I have on the patch pipe (conduit). It got rusty after the first winter :) and like I said, the guy at Napa just gave it to me as it was the only thing he had that was close :) it was kicking around in the back office for 3 years... lol

It sure as hell looked as galvanized as it gets.... Rusty & Crusty after the first winter hit her :)

I used some on my '77 Ramcharger back in the late '80 (yes I guess I'm old). It lasted longer than the truck did. It was okay for 3 years, then I spun a main bearing in the 318. And no I had never even heard of Amsoil then.:sad:

If it is galvanized pipe weld in a well ventilated area, it can make you sick. Leo

I used some on my '77 Ramcharger back in the late '80 (yes I guess I'm old). It lasted longer than the truck did. It was okay for 3 years, then I spun a main bearing in the 318. And no I had never even heard of Amsoil then.:sad:

Did it turn rusty or stay that galvanized look? Like I said, I never verified mine was galv, I really didn't care.

Did it turn rusty or stay that galvanized look? Like I said, I never verified mine was galv, I really didn't care.

x2 on that question.. did it stay galvanized?

my main concern is installing it and next year, or worse yet, later this year having to replace it

If it is galvanized you'll know when you heat it by welding or with an oxy. acet. torch. The metal will get a white film on it and white wisps will rise into the air. Leo

x2 on that question.. did it stay galvanized?

my main concern is installing it and next year, or worse yet, later this year having to replace it

No, the zinc or whatever didn't stay pretty. It got rusty, but held up okay. I have no idea if the conduit you have now is half as good or twice as good, YRMV, materials don't seem to be the same as 20 yrs ago.

Depending on the wall thickness I would be concerned about expansion and contraction not dia. but length. I have a woodstove with a 6" well case (1/4 wall) and when its not burning it doesn't rest on the floor it hangs off the chimney and sits about a 1/2" off floor

If it's free use it, it'll be just fine. If you want to spend money get SSdiesel's 4" stainless. I'll put anything on for free but if I'm paying for exhaust it will be stainless.
If you decide you want to shed yourself of that stuff let me know. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. My personal preferance is to weld the joints with stainless & coat the welds with galva coat or similar. And no it doesn't hurt a dang thing to weld mild or hard steel with stainless or vice versa. A lot of hard surface used to require a stainless bed.

hmmm.. interesting..

from what ive read on galvanized pipes just now, the galvanization is actually a plating process.. its suppose to be impervious to temp, but at a steady temp.. i think heat cycling will probably kill the pipe waaaaay before its time.. damn... and it was free too!!!

just curious.. but how long did it last before it rusted to hell? a month? year? going on 5? lol..

Its probably electroststic galvanizing, they use electricity to pull the zinc onto the metal, like chrome plating.

Ive used it on gas engines and its never rusted yet. It it gets hot it will turn yellow.

If you weld it dont wear contact lenses. You body will absorb the heavy metals. You eyes will suck the heavy metals through the contacts fusing them to you eye. Most people think its the UV light that will melt it to your eye but its not. Flux also has heavy metals in it, you can feel your eyes suck the smoke in.

I went to collage to be a welder and got scared, I dont want to weld 8 hrs a day anymore. Lots of welders will have black kidneys on x-rays. :eek:

Its probably electroststic galvanizing, they use electricity to pull the zinc onto the metal, like chrome plating.

Ive used it on gas engines and its never rusted yet. It it gets hot it will turn yellow.

If you weld it dont wear contact lenses. You body will absorb the heavy metals. You eyes will suck the heavy metals through the contacts fusing them to you eye. Most people think its the UV light that will melt it to your eye but its not. Flux also has heavy metals in it, you can feel your eyes suck the smoke in.

I went to collage to be a welder and got scared, I dont want to weld 8 hrs a day anymore. Lots of welders will have black kidneys on x-rays. :eek:

Yep it'll make you a worn out POS like I am after 35 years. Believe everything he says and don't be scared to wear a mask. Anything is better than nothing. If you weld galvanized use a sanding disk to remove the galvanized coating from the weld zone before you weld it. It will be much easier to weld and easier on your health. Easy for me to say I only do that about half the time - when I have to or when I have patience

+1 on the SSdiesel stainless 4" system.

Installed with no problems. I did take the clamps that came with it and tossed them in the misc parts box. Got stainless strap clamps http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-33224&N=700+0&autoview=sku which don't crimp the pipe so you can disassemble it.

They already paid for themselves when I had to remove the downpipe to pull the heads. Simply loosened the 2 bolts. Loosened the hanger bolts. Slid intermediate pipe etc back and down pipe forward and removed downpipe.

I fabbed up hangers using the stock rubbers and brackets. Took standard 4" u-bolt steel muffler clamps and 3/8 rod. Bent the rod so it would hold the pipe where needed and welded to the mufler clamp. Then I threaded the end where it went through the rubber part and put on a nyloc nut. If I was set up to weld stainless I'd have used the SSdiesel stanless clamps and stainless rod.

Back