• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

36 - Injection pulse width error (response time long)

colbythekid

Reaction score
First just wanted to say thanks for all the help you guys have provided.
Now onto the problem at hand. In June the wife and I went on a road trip to Sequoia National Park. You might remember this post: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?23271-Emergency-Transmission-Problems

Before the trip there was this post: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?23224-Codes-on-95-Burb

I went to the local Wally World and picked up a quart of cheep SVE-30. I also picked up a bottle Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost. I put the SVE-30 in the tank first and drove to the local mountains (~100 miles) to pick up some camping supplies and from there headed to Sequoia. The way up the mountain the service engine soon (SES) light came on again. I put the Diesel Kleen in and continued the trip to Sequoia (~200 miles) no more service engine soon light. I filled the burb up before limping it to the dealer in Bakersfield (~50 miles).

After the transmission was fixed we drove it home (~150 miles) and still no SES light. Filled up a few times (tank was still about 3/4 full).

On July 20 I filled the truck and the wife followed me up in the burb. The SES light came on and off almost nonstop according to the wifey. I hooked up the computer and had a 36 - Injection pulse width error (response time long) code. Drove the burb to see what it was doing.

When I would put the cruise control on between 55 and 65 the service engine soon light would turn on about a minute after and cruise control would turn off. When I would drive without turning on the cruise control the SES light would turn on but it took longer for it to turn on. The light will stay on for a few minutes and will eventually turn off. However when the SES light would come on and I would let the rpms drop to ~700 the light turns off.

When starting the trunk cold it blows white smoke and runs rough for about 10 seconds. With the diesel kleen the truck never has any issues while starting.

It has now been 800 miles now since the last time the SES light has come back on that is one full tank of gas (39 gal) and about 200 miles on the next tank and still no SES light.

I do not mind adding diesel kleen to my tank from now on, it is only $5 at Wally World and that treats 40 gal.

Am I covering up a future problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Colby

I will try adding two quarts of SAE-30 to the tank. I was only adding one and with the 44 gal tank that must not have been enough. Thanks for the insight. Is there any chance that this might be leading to something worse? Maybe something giving out?

Colby

I know my IP is long in tooth (OLD), but I want to make it last. I've tried 2 stroke, optilube, and ND-W30 (it's what works best for me). I try to urn a slug of Diesel Kleen gray bottle once a month.

Mow many miles on that new IP, and the truck too?

You have good advice from these guys. Use more ND SAE30 lube, or instead try 2-stroke oil, a full quart to your tank.

DTC36 can also be signs of a failing PMD if it continues randomly.

DTC36 can also be signs of a failing PMD if it continues randomly.

I agree, I just spent $450 on a new one, mine did this for 8 month's intermittently before it finally burnt out, I also noticed that if i didn't clear the code my milage would drop from 24 mpg to 19.

MPG should drop because it sets a constant pulse width of 1.95ms for the fuel rate when the condition is set in the PCM. So that means it will probably idle a little higher and might be faster off the line sometimes, but because pulse width cannot increase the only way to get more fuel is to increase RPMs, which increases the IP housing pressure to allow more fuel to be metered. So it might take higher RPMs to go as fast as you want and around town it would suck up more fuel at low throttle. It would be a real dog at high rpm as well.

If you dont already have it done, get a DTECH PMD on a remote cooler.

The code 36 can be from a failing PMD or from the Fuel solenoid getting tired.

What can happen is that the armature in the solenoid starts getting galled or worn and can't move as freely as it should.

The results you see by adding the lube to the fuel is indicative of a failing injection pump.

Probably need to start thinking about a fresh IP.

Missy

If you dont already have it done, get a DTECH PMD on a remote cooler.

The code 36 can be from a failing PMD or from the Fuel solenoid getting tired.

What can happen is that the armature in the solenoid starts getting galled or worn and can't move as freely as it should.

The results you see by adding the lube to the fuel is indicative of a failing injection pump.

Probably need to start thinking about a fresh IP.

Missy
Not much to go wrong with the FS,altough i had a few where the plunger came loose(broke bolt) from the activator plate. The plunger started wearing into the plate causing the delivery valve clearance to increase substantially(would be nice to know what the running issues/codes where)

IMO,Its prob more the delivery valve galling or the plungers getting sticky.

The DTC35/36 are specifically related to the fuel solenoid not closing in the correct amount of time. The pulse width will be long if the metering valve doesnt seat fast enough, so more fuel gets metered. The pulse width will be too short if fuel solenoid cannot open metering valve enough and so it closes much sooner than PCM expected for the pulse width it sent the PMD. So if its IP related it has to be fuel solenoid related somehow and somehow lubrication helps it in many cases.

The DTC35/36 are specifically related to the fuel solenoid not closing in the correct amount of time. The pulse width will be long if the metering valve doesnt seat fast enough, so more fuel gets metered. The pulse width will be too short if fuel solenoid cannot open metering valve enough and so it closes much sooner than PCM expected for the pulse width it sent the PMD. So if its IP related it has to be fuel solenoid related somehow and somehow lubrication helps it in many cases.
What i posted about the delivery/spill valve and FS will cause just that. in the former lube might help,in the latter it wont.

An other thing could be a weak or broken spring under the spill valve,in that case lube wont help either

Back