• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3500HD's

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Hello, got more of a question than delema. My 94 has the 19.5" rims, so naturally that means 10 lug in back and 5 up front. Is there any one that makes a kit to go from 5 lugs up to 10 in front? Gotta say, it looks goofy with just the five. Well, thats it. Thanks in advance,

Huh I never saw a conversion kit like your talking about. Out of curiosity if all your doing it for is looks why dont you just buy a set of simulators that have a lug nut cover for 10 in the front? My 19.5's with 5 in the front had a 10 bolt cover. It would be alot cheaper as well IMO. :thumbsup:

True, it would be alot easier, but I want to go with aluminum rims and they already have ten holes. My reason is maybe 30 % looks. I have a hard time believing GM did this for anything but being cheap. Why have 10 in back and only 5 up front? I have a good friend who owns a machine shop (just thought bout that), and I'm looking at having him either drill out 5 additional holes or machine an entirely new hub (friend has a really nice CNC setup). It would probably be easier and cheaper to drill 5 more holes. I just have to have tight tolerances for balancing purposes, enter CNC.

What do you guys think?

I dont remember what the plate that the studs go onto looks like. But, as long as theres room I dont see why that wouldnt work!

I can't imagine GM skimping on front axel weight.............I guess the bulk of the load is in the rear...........I agree, Looks skechy.

Louis

I haven't got around to pulling truck out of garage yet, so I don't know if this can be done or not yet. I'll keep you posted.

I would have to imagine that there would be enough beef to handle the required drilling. As long as you kept it cool, so as not to mess with heat treating (if any was done), it should be fine.

Still trying to get truck out of garage.

True, it would be alot easier, but I want to go with aluminum rims and they already have ten holes. My reason is maybe 30 % looks. I have a hard time believing GM did this for anything but being cheap. Why have 10 in back and only 5 up front? I have a good friend who owns a machine shop (just thought bout that), and I'm looking at having him either drill out 5 additional holes or machine an entirely new hub (friend has a really nice CNC setup). It would probably be easier and cheaper to drill 5 more holes. I just have to have tight tolerances for balancing purposes, enter CNC.

What do you guys think?

It makes 100% sense why they would do this. For one, it's a 1 ton truck that's meant to hold a LOT of weight out back, not up front. For 2, the lug nut to wheel ratio is the same. 2 wheels=10 lugs, 1 wheel=5. To me it's a nobrainer. I'm sure it's possible to do, but aside from looks, I don't see why it would be necessary. Start a poll asking how many guys here sheared off all 5 lugs on the front of a HD truck due to weight overload. :skep:

True, but why would the general put 8 lugs on a regular 1 ton front axle? I see what your sayin with 2 tires vs. 1 tire. Guess maybe I'm wantin to do it more for 'the look' aspect than I originally thought...

True, but why would the general put 8 lugs on a regular 1 ton front axle? I see what your sayin with 2 tires vs. 1 tire. Guess maybe I'm wantin to do it more for 'the look' aspect than I originally thought...

I read my first post, and I didn't mean to come across as a know-it-all :eek:. My opinion on the 8 lug thing, and as I was typing the last post I thought the same thing, 4 isn't enough. They have to make all 4 wheels interchangable for 1, for 2 there's no way 4 lugs up front would handle the weight of the truck, let alone anything else.

Last edited:
Need pics, scott. Are the front 5 bigger than the back 10?

That makes no sense, but I can't say I ever noticed before... which is why I'm asking.

Got h2o, everyone brings something to the table...don't worry, you actually have a very good point, one that I never thought of.

Jim, the lugs are all the same. The 19 1/2" rims have 10 holes, but only 5 (every other) are used in the front. At the moment, the ony digital camera I have is the Fisher Price toy camera that # 4 & 5 share ( I got 6, so I had to start numbering them lol). It came with a cable to go to computer so pics can be printed (some toy huh). I'm not to computer savy like I was back in the apple IIe hayday. I suddenly feel real old.

I've known a guy that has sheared all eight studs off an f-350 ford stroker dually about 96 model year.

Anyway, the wheels and the bracing plates (idk official term) are all 10 hole just front axle is 5. surely if done properly, one could drill it. if one screws up, it should just run like stock just fine shouldnt it?

C3500HD
GVWR: 15,000 lbs
GAWR Front:5,000 lbs
GAWR Rear:11,000lbs ( i know, should be 10K, GM was weird about that though)

Semis get it done with 8 or 10 lugs, just way bigger though.

We have 65 C60 with 5 in the front, and it is just every other. We had to put new wheels and tires on because the old ones were split rims, illegal in MN, and they just put on 22.5 10 lug rims, and nice Bridgestone V-Steel tires. The truck rides real nice now. Any ways, the semi wheels worked just fine, with every-other hole being used. So it is half of a 10 lug pattern.

Back