• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3500 and 3500HD Ign Switch

Brooklyn Tow

9 11 Never Forget
Reaction score
How can it be that a 6.5 ignition switch has a different P/N from reg 3500 and HD?

Could anyone shed any light on this issue......Isn't every column the same (basically)?

Seems the different GVWR are what makes the difference......I didn't know that the Ign was "weight rated":???:

Look at the rock auto description...WTF!

chevy Ignition switch.jpg

Last edited:
When the multi-function switch[signals and all the other crap they put in one very expensive switch] went out on my 95 k2500ld I went to the junkyard and got a complete steering column from a gasser for less than a switch. Air bag included. Everything works just fine.Applications by manufactures aren't always accurate or it's the same part different number.

Thats what I thought!......but the pics look a little different also..........Still not getting the 2 P/N's

What can actually be different?

Since it's a AC Delco part ,I'd think maybe there is a reason but I'd have to agree, What could be different? Wiring connector or something stupid like that?

They ARE different. Apparently 3500HDs had some sort of key alarm built into them.... no idea what that means.

From the EPC:

Pickup: 26036311 - SWITCH,IGN & START(2.195)(ACDelco #D1481C)
3500HD: 26061330 - SWITCH,IGN & START(INCL KEY ALARM SWITCH)(2.195)(ACDelco #D1496C)

Key alarm being Passlock?....What year did passlock start?

No "Key alarm" in/on/around my 96 3500HD......What might this "Key alarm" Be????????

Could the "Key Alarm" have something to do with WTS ghost???

Need specifics.

I imagine it is just the buzzer (more of a shrill whine box) that alerts you when the key is in the ignition. I imagine it is that away so that the buzzer only sounds with key in, and maybe shuts up if just doors are open, and HDs would lead a more open door life (in and out at the jobsite) than a regular, as they whine with doors open or key in, IIRC (dont know for sure, no working whine box on any of mine)

maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure.

Key alarm being Passlock?....What year did passlock start?

No "Key alarm" in/on/around my 96 3500HD......What might this "Key alarm" Be????????

Could the "Key Alarm" have something to do with WTS ghost???

Need specifics.
Louis, I don't have specifics on it. My wiring diagrams are for a regular 3500. I do know it's not passlock, it started in 98 and the page in the EPC states that that part number is 95-96 3500HD only. The ignition switch in non-passlock trucks is just that; a switch. Have you yet to test if your getting voltage on the crank fuse with the key in start?! that will rule out the function of the switch IMO.

I imagine it is just the buzzer (more of a shrill whine box) that alerts you when the key is in the ignition. I imagine it is that away so that the buzzer only sounds with key in, and maybe shuts up if just doors are open, and HDs would lead a more open door life (in and out at the jobsite) than a regular, as they whine with doors open or key in, IIRC (dont know for sure, no working whine box on any of mine)

maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure.
That sounds like a reasonable guess. The buzzers in standard trucks makes noise for just about every situation, particularly with the key in and door open. I looked up the diagram for the regular trucks....

Buzzerwiring.gif

Judging by the wording of the EPC and the diagram, I bet your correct that the key doesn't buzz if left in ignition and the door is open.

-----------------

Louis, can you verify? Does your warning buzzer make noise if you leave the key in and open the door with the truck off?

When the door is open and key in the ignition, there is NO noise.....You are correct.

No start condition has NOT repeted itself since the last time I was going thru wiring harness.......So I do not know if there is power at the fuse when in no start condition.

Tommorrow/today/later I will have some time to go thru some of your suggestions David.....As I'm still trying to work (with the Ford Rollback) for the last 2-3 days.

Trout, no backup alarm as far as I know.

Sure wish we had a 96 HD wiring schematic......But the 99 has to be very close, just a few oddball issues, like the "key alarm" and such.....the basics have to be the same, I think.

Thanks for taking the time to research and reply, It's appreciated more than you can ever imagine.

Updates to come.

I'd bet that is the difference then, it makes total sense.

As far as wiring differences, there aren't much between years, with the exception my truck has passlock and EVO steering, otherwise the diesel systems, locks, ignition, etc are all about the same.

Back