• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

350 repower

Golddigger

Reaction score
I have a vortec 350 in my 99 suburban. Has always been a SLUG. It now has 150K on it and I need to do the intake gasket so I want to put in a hotter cam. Any suggestions? I was looking at:

Envied by friends and hated by neighbors--COMP Cams Thumpr Camshafts!
COMP Cams is bringing the musclecar sound back, and it's nastier than ever! Let's face it--few things serve to grab our attention at a car show or cruise night more than a car with a thumping, high performance idle. In fact, one of the most frequent questions fielded when customers call our tech line is, "What camshaft will give my car that mean-sounding idle?" In an ongoing quest to provide you with the performance and sound you demand, COMP Cams engineering team proudly introduces the Thumpr series cam and lifter kits. The lobe profile and grind characteristics of these new Thumpr camshafts use a combination of an early exhaust valve opening, a long exhaust duration, and a generous amount of intake and exhaust overlap to maximize the rough-idling characteristics of the cams. This gives you a seriously aggressive exhaust note without negatively impacting the power output or streetability of the engine. Thumpr camshafts are available in different grind profiles; each one will produce a rough, racy exhaust note and impressive amounts of horsepower and torque within a different rpm range. These Thumpr series cam and lifter kits deliver a substantial power increase over an identical hydraulic flat tappet grind without sacrificing reliability or ease of maintenance. :idea:

DO IT!!! :D In all seriousness, on my 98 tahoe, i added a K&N CAI and a Hypertech tuner, and they really woke it up.

Last edited:
I did find a superchips for it but it doesn't give hp increase ratings. I'm still leaning towards the cam, I just need to find out if my fuel injection will keep up. ???

Only one way to find out! LOL. Idk about superchips, but with the K&N, the Hypertech really woke it up. Get more air and fuel into and out of the motor, and you will increase power. I really recommend the K&N, worth every penny, get the K&N by summit, was $50 cheaper than the true K&N, and the same deal, same package and everything. Getting a high flow exhaust will increase power as well, but i don't know how much, as i never got around to getting one, and now I'm trying to sell it, and don't want to put much more money into it.

X2 on trying to sell it. Haven't had any luck cause of gas prices though. And it is paid for so I am NOT taking a low ball price for it, cause I really don't need to sell it. I just drive my truck more.

You will probably need a custom tune done.
I don't know if there are any vendors on this site that can do it, maybe Pat from Discount Power Parts, Pat@DPP.
When I did my old '88 350 non-vortec I was severly limited by the computer in cam selection according to my builder.

Looked at a few chips, but none specify really good numbers from what I saw. On the cam I haven't found out if I will have to do anything with fuel delivery putting in a bigger cam like the one I originally posted. I looked around full size chevy .com and saw a few people working on them, but I haven't felt like signing up to ask.:idea:

I'm assuming it will, because it's OBD2, but the only way to know for sure is to ask the EFI Live guys your self.

Swap in a newer 6.0. There a few companies that make swap kits. A mild cam in a 6.0 would be way meaner than a cam and bolt-on 5.7.

Back