• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

-34f to cold

radrick

Recruit
Reaction score
This is a post from a thread I started on the other site. I am at home now and I started the truck up and pulled it in the garage. Once in the garage before I shut it off I opened up the air bleed on the fuel filter and nothing came out. Keep in mind it is now 0f so if there is any water in the system it is definitely frozen. So I turned the heat in the garage up to warm up the truck and I am waiting. Once it warms up if it still does not have any fuel at the air bleed then what? I am guessing that I need to start diagnosing the LP system from the oil pressure switch to the LP. I will need to figure this out tonight as the GM dealer is only open in the morning tomorrow. I already called them they have one in stock for $115. time to start searching for LP diagnostic threads. Feedback please.

"Well do to some circumstances that are out of my control I had to leave my truck outside last night. It was -34F when I woke up this morning. I hit the remote start and the truck started on the second try. When I went out to take it to work I put it in gear and it hesitated and died. I started it back up and tried reving it up some. It stumbled each time I rev'd it and then it died. I tried to drive it around the block and it died half way around. I decided I better take the wifes car that was in the garage so I pulled it out and retried my truck and it started. I drove it down the alley and turned into my drive and it died with half the truck sticking out in the alley. It wouldn't restart. I just got a call from my wife she went out and started it and pulled it into the drive but couldn't get it into the garage because the cord is stuck in the block heater plug and she can't get it out. everything is a pain at -34f. I added Diesel Service to my last tank and I bought No. 1 fuel so I don't know if it gelled or if there is something wrong with my LP. I will get it in the garage when I get home and test the LP. Is it possible that the LP works but is to week to deal with the cold fuel? I havn't checked it lately but I know that the LP work last time I changed the fuel filter."

There are fuel additives that will melt the gelled fuel and/or ice. The one I have on hand is brand name "Polar" and is called "melt down". If it doesn't start after warming up in your shop for a couple hours I would pour something similar in the fuel tank and the fuel manager.
Leo​

• Edit: If you still have no fuel try turning the key to start with the trans. in drive, that should bypass the OPS. If there is fuel the OPS is toast, no fuel it's the LP.

Also, did you just fuel up last night? Could be bad fuel. Leo

I added Power Service 911 yesterday after it stalled on the hwy then i filled up with no 1 and added Power Service anti gel just for good measure. I haven't drained the water out of the filter lately thou so that could be it. I will see soon I am going out there to check on it now.

Well I did a search or two on Lift pump test and OPS on the other site. I found some really helpful info as usual. First I found out that because my truck is a 1995 I can run my LP just by putting the shifter in any location besides park and neutral and try and start it. because the starter won't turn because you aren't in neutral or park the lp runs and you can test it. I did get fuel but very little. i then pulled my fuel filter. it was very dark colored even thou its not that old. the bottom of the housing was a bit dirty. I did find a really handy trick for cleaning out the housing. I used a micro fiber towel it soaked up all the fuel in two trys and I just rung it out in between. then with a blunt rod (I used a wood dowel) the micro fiber cleaned the bottom of the housing spotless. I installed the new filter and bleed the air out. It fired right up and ran. I opened the water drain and fuel came out about the same as it always has and the engine kept running fine. But when I open the air bleed while it is running fuel comes out but not nearly as much as used to. I don't know if that is because the fuel is still a little thick even in the heated garage or if my LP is getting week. I am going to order a fuel pressure gauge next.

Back