• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3/4 ton 14 bolt & 1 ton 14 bolt

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I know that the drums are different sizes, but are the axles or axle tubing? Can the 1 ton be swapped in place of a 3/4 ton and/or is there any advantage to doing it?

I bought a 14 bolt that I found out was a 1 ton when I picked it up. It has 16" drums where-as my 3/4 ton has 13" drums. (both are full floating). Is there any advantage to swapping the axles?

Also - what else is involved in going from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton? Larger cv shafts up front? Larger hub assemblies up front? Larger driveshafts, front and rear? Larger U-joints?

Not that I'd do it - cause I got NO money (which is why I'm trying to sell everything I don't need), but I'm still curious.

I bought a 14 bolt that I found out was a 1 ton when I picked it up. It has 16" drums where-as my 3/4 ton has 13" drums. (both are full floating). Is there any advantage to swapping the axles?

16inch drums? Those are ****in huge and not on a 1 ton truck

which way where the drums measured? inside out outside? the only 2 sizes I know about was the 13 X 3 1/2 or 13 X 2 1/2. the first one is the SRW version.

which way where the drums measured? inside out outside? the only 2 sizes I know about was the 13 X 3 1/2 or 13 X 2 1/2. the first one is the SRW version.

hadn't thought of that. My drums on my 3/4 ton are 13"...and I think that's outside..., but these drums on the spare axle seem bigger than the ones on my truck. I'll check, maybe after work.

those numbers should be the inside they are brake dimensions

hm...i'll check. Whenever AutoZone or any parts store has asked for my rear drum size, I've said 13" and I've never had anything not fit. Would my VIN # tell me what size they'd be? If so, then I must have 13" cause I've already had the VIN checked when I bought it.

now come the question of what brakes did it come with? 2 1/2 or 3 1/2. the backing plate is different. the 2 1/2 backing plate is straight while the 3 1/2 has a backspace to it.

Back