• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2nd gear TCC lock up

Monarkman

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody running a Westers or other reflash with 2nd gear lock up for automatics? Would there be any ill effects for trans or converter? Does it stay locked through shifts or does it unlock, shift, then relock? It seems like it would put more power to ground but I wouldn't want to stress converer clutch.

It's my understanding that one one currently has a TCC lockup feature for OBD11. Bill Heath said he's working on it but it's not a high priority . Maybe all us obd11 guys ought to call once in a while and see if he'll up it on the priority list.

I've got the BD TorqLock on mine. It's only good for the normal 3rd & 4th lockup and you have to manage it or you'll end up in limp mode. It does help a little on slight grades but really needs the exhaust brake to make it work well.

I've got the BD TorqLock on mine. It's only good for the normal 3rd & 4th lockup and you have to manage it or you'll end up in limp mode. It does help a little on slight grades but really needs the exhaust brake to make it work well.

So how would your BD system work if a guy wanted to drive in third with the TCC locked up? Almost all the roads around here are two lane and rough. So it won't stay locked in overdrive (have to drive to slow).

So how would your BD system work if a guy wanted to drive in third with the TCC locked up? Almost all the roads around here are two lane and rough. So it won't stay locked in overdrive (have to drive to slow).

Works fine down to about 40 then you risk tripping the limp mode on OBD2 rigs. I leave it in 3rd when I'm pulling on short rolling hills and it helps keep the speed on the downline with the cruise control on (as well as saving on 3-4 shifts).

So I have been thinking about this. I'm under the impression that the 4l80e is a 3 speed tranny with 4th being the torque converter locking up. If this is true if I pulled it down into 3rd as marker on the shifter and then forced a lockup then that would be the same as overdrive so what I'd really need to do is pull it down to second and lock it essentially splitting 2 and 3rd gear. Am I thinking right on this?

You should feel a 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, a 3-OD shift then the TC locking up

Leo

Went and took it for a test drive and yes I get all 4 gears. I guess what confuses me is if I pull the shifter out of od into 3rd the rpms only change about the same amount as lockup. How much rpm difference should there be between 4th locked and 3rd locked?

ED, I think that 3-drive shift is the TCC in 3rd gear, then you got your last shift into OD

Leo

Edit: the TCC must lock in 3rd then shift to OD and not lock after shifting into OD like I previously posted

ED, I think that 3-drive shift is the TCC in 3rd gear, then you got your last shift into OD

Leo

Edit: the TCC must lock in 3rd then shift to OD and not lock after shifting into OD like I previously posted

Wrong, the TCC locks AFTER shifting in OD !

1, 2, 3, OD, TCC

or

1, 2, 3, TCC (when not driving in OD)

Cu,
Sven

Wrong, the TCC locks AFTER shifting in OD !

1, 2, 3, OD, TCC

or

1, 2, 3, TCC (when not driving in OD)

Cu,
Sven

OK, Ok I was right the first time:D
Thanks for clearing that up Sven:thumbsup:
Should never second guess

Leo

Maybe the earlier programming is different but mine will lockup in 3rd around 49 and then shift into OD under hard acceleration (full throttle up hill or with load ) . Normal lockup is 45 in OD under light throttle with 4.10 gears. If you watch the video again you will notice that when the tcc locks (3rd "shift") it is about half the rpm drop of an actual shift.

Hey NVW since you have the Westers flash did he mention or did you ask about the 2nd gear lock up. He advertises it on his website with the 6.5 programming but I don't know how long it has been available.

Last edited:
I never asked Lydon about it and mine doesn't appear to have it. Mind you I have never run it in the 2nd gear selector position. Maybe it would lock that way. I'll look into it.

Leo

Perhaps TCC lockup is dependant apon speed and how hard your hitting the ACC, not what gear you're in? Seems mine locks up around 45, but if I'm in OD before 45 i'm turning under 1500rpm and thats just too low for me.

Mine locks up at 50mph in 3rd and 4th. It seems like there is only about 150 rpm difference between locked and unlocked. I thought it was supposed to be 4-5 hundred.

I think unlocked its a varyable amount of engagement. I can watch my speedo gain speed while my RPMs are staying almost the same. By the time it locks up, the effect is only a few hundred RPM, which is why it calls for lockup. It is defanately not like being in 2nd gear on a standard shift where RPM and speed are directly related.

Back