• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2500 LD and 2500 HD differences

Anubis

Being fat sucks
Reaction score
People's Republic of Michiganistan, United Sociali
These questions are GMT400 specific.

what are the differences between the LD 2500 and the HD 2500 (besides the LD is 6 lug with a 7200# GVWR)?

I know the axles are different....... but can the 8 lug hubs be swapped in place of the 6 lug on the front (looks like he 8 lug spindles are 4 bolt and the 6 lug spindles are 3 bolt) or are the arms too much different.... can the arms be swapped, would SAS with an 8 lug Ford axle be better?

are the frames different (like the 97 non SD F250 is on an F150 frame)?

the HD 2500 has the 10.5" FF and the 6 lug has the 9.5" SF (equivalent to a D60?). Is it just as easy as swapping in the ff 10.5" or are the springs different?

are there differences in the brakes?

are the Transfer cases different?

I have a 4L80E so the transmission should be the same.

The IFS is worn out on my truck. If I have to go through all the crap to change all the bushings and joints, spindles, hubs, Brakes, shocks, steering components, and what ever else ...... I might as well convert it to 8 lug (and what ever else) and get a true 3/4 ton, but there is this guy named Murphy that likes to mess with all my best laid plans.

Pretty positive that....
frame is same
t-case is same
springs are same
tranny is same
brakes......i think are the same

I had a '95 patrol truck that was listed as a 2500HD according to the window sticker that came on it, however it had 6 lug axles. Not sure how it was called a HD. It was 4x4 with manual tranny so I don't know if that ment anything for the "HD".

yeah ..... its not the manual that makes it an HD...... the 4L80E and NV4500 are both 3/4 ton/1 ton transmissions.... its the axles ..... but what I am wondering is if that is the only difference...... yours might have had the HD springs and torsion bars..... I think you have to step up to a 3500 Fatback to get the bigger T-case......

I think for the expense involved I will just SAS with an HD axle from a Ford like big blue did.

The 2500LD is basically a 1500 with bolt in ball joints instead of pressed in and the 9.5" semi-floater rear axle.

Just to clarify, the '95 that I had was listed as a 2500HD 8600 GVWR, but it still had 6 lug hubs. I always thought it was a bit odd, but never really looked into it too much.

The front brake hoses are different between the two - tried them both before I got ones that fit.

My front tires (8 lug) track wider than the rear tires if that helps. (They stick out of the fenders...)

Back