• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

250-6 to 6.2

From what I have been told and by looking at the different bellhousing, the housing on the 250-6 will bolt up to any V8. I haven't tried the fit yet because I am still driving it, but I did buy a specific housing for the A833 because they have different mounting holes than a 465. But this housing was for the larger flywheel.

So you're saying you need a 6.2 diesel flywheel?

A gasser flywheel won't work, the teeth are different and the starter drive is different for the diesel.

I want a 4 door truck, like you got

And i found the info on flywheels i was talking about.
The J-code flywheel for 6.2s and the SM465 HD trans is casting # 14050525 and weighs 45 lbs.
The C-code flywheel for 6.2s with the NP833 is casting # 14022675 and weighs 31 lbs.

Just curious if anyone has had or seen one of the "lightweight" flywheels

From what I have been told and by looking at the different bellhousing, the housing on the 250-6 will bolt up to any V8. True statement
A gasser flywheel won't work, the teeth are different and the starter drive is different for the diesel. ..and 6.2/5's are externally counterbalanced on both ends of the crank.

red replies

Landmine, the weight of the flywheels is new to me! All 3 of my flywheels came off 6.2's with 465 transmission. I'll check the casting numbers out next week.Seeing as how I am just gathering parts wouldn't just getting the right pressure plate to work with the A833 and 1 of the flywheels work? Sort of a test of gathered parts!

3500GMC, one guy told me to try an external balanced flywheel for a 454. I had to show him the difference between a 6.2 and a 454 flywheel. He changed his mind then.

From what I have been told and by looking at the different bellhousing, the housing on the 250-6 will bolt up to any V8. I haven't tried the fit yet because I am still driving it, but I did buy a specific housing for the A833 because they have different mounting holes than a 465. But this housing was for the larger flywheel.

So you're saying you need a 6.2 diesel flywheel?

A gasser flywheel won't work, the teeth are different and the starter drive is different for the diesel.

Everything I have read about the 6.2 and 6.5 tells me that any of the older GM bellhousings, I-6 or V-8, will fit. It's just that the info that the diesel starter nose being too large was news to me.

I was aware that the gasser flywheel wouldn't work. A gasser flywheel is reasonably easy to find, but a used diesel flywheel for a decent price so far has eluded me. I've been checking e-bay, amazon, and craigslist. I've checked Rockauto and can get a new AC Delco wheel for about $165, but it say that OEM flywheel bolts won't work and that has me concerned.

I haven't spent very much time at the local wrecking yards yet though since they haven't had hardly anything in the 80s or 90s diesel rigs. I'm planning to call a bunch of the local and semi-local yards this week to see if I can scare up something.

Don

just thought I add some more info for your hunt. the 6.5 single mass flywheel also works. it has to be the single not the dual version.

Well that's good because all 3 of the flywheels are just that, single not dual.

Handcannon, if you can't find a flywheel let me know.

Well that's good because all 3 of the flywheels are just that, single not dual.

Handcannon, if you can't find a flywheel let me know.

I was unable to find a flywheel locally. I did find one in California, for $150. Apparently the used diesel flywheels are not generally easily available and the yards are pricing accordingly. I may end up going the new, aftermarket route.

Don

Sounds like I might need to move my 82 up the list on R&R. Its pretty nasty as it sits now with nearly 1million miles and I'm only the 4th owner (last owner bought it for a spare drive train and took the seat, i got it for $100)

3.08 gears and a 700R4 should make for good mpgs but like you said hills will be a SOB.

Well I sold my '81 short box. I got an offer I couldn't pass up. Now I won't be doing the conversion. But I still have a few flywheel and clutch setups left over. Single mass flywheels.

Come on guy snag a deal on another early style GM truck and git er done :hihi:
Their was an option for the 350 olds diesel in the 1/2 ton pickup till 81 before the 6.2. My neighbor has a 81 that is fairly well optioned he bought new. he has been letting sit for a few years now. The Olds diesel was yanked out years ago and it has a Olds 307 in it. I have been lusting over it but he wont sell it... yet. I have all the stuff to make it a 6.2 plus some up grades. Since it was a diesel it would be a piece o cake. And cool.

Well I sold my '81 short box. I got an offer I couldn't pass up. Now I won't be doing the conversion. But I still have a few flywheel and clutch setups left over. Single mass flywheels.

Back