• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

250-6 to 6.2

Reaction score
After lots of reading and thoughts of doing an engine swap I got the parts. In a few months I will remove the 250 in line 6 from my 81 2 wheel drive short box and replace it with a 6.2. Rebuild the A833 trans in the process and have a good driver that will get good mileage.

Thanks to Missy Good Wrench, and her supply of parts, I can do put it all together.

Rear gears are 3:08. The A833 trans is a factory looking 4 speed but really a 3 speed with overdrive. 1st is 3:07, 2nd is 1:67, 3rd is 1-1 and OD is .73

my 81 had the 250. swapped it for a 305. think yours will run comparable which was great. if i knew then i should have done just what you are doing. you should get 25-30 with the overdrive. what gears you running? tires? nothing too wide or tall and that should be obtainable. gets me to thinking about a cheap runner for back and forth to/from work............ 6.2's are so cheap down here.

In the past articles I had read, early 6.2 owners were saying 31 on the highway and high 20's in town, with this gearing and same trans, I could live with that kind of mileage.
Stock 205 75 x15 tires. The pickup has power steering. I will remove the front clip for the engine swap and put a much nicer front clip back on. Also do a short box bed swap.
Later on I will go to Phoenix and have a/c installed.

Id expect to see high 20's but i dont know if it would eclipse the 30mpg mark, in any long term sense.

Should get you a fantastic average MPG though :D

Rear gears are 3:08. The A833 trans is a factory looking 4 speed but really a 3 speed with overdrive. 1st is 3:07, 2nd is 1:67, 3rd is 1-1 and OD is .73
They made A833's originally in close and wide ratio both with 1 to 1 4th gears. The weird later "Over Drive" version has a OD gear in what was 3rd and 4th is still direct. The shifter reverses the position of 3rd and 4th. If you could find a close ratio box out of a car... but those are rare and pricey

any plans for making it turbo? This is similar to a build I dream of doing one day.

I also have an 84 1 ton dually, 4x4, service box, 4:56 gearing, 4 speed trans, and Banks Turbo.

No Turbo on this one, maybe. But I will be adding ARP head studs and the new Heath 6.2 N/A camshaft just incase I change my mind.

They made A833's originally in close and wide ratio both with 1 to 1 4th gears. The weird later "Over Drive" version has a OD gear in what was 3rd and 4th is still direct. The shifter reverses the position of 3rd and 4th. If you could find a close ratio box out of a car... but those are rare and pricey

The A833 trans is a very strong trans. 440 and 426 Mopar had this trans behind those monsters.

Ford and GM used this trans with the overdrive part. With the 6 in it, it easily goes over 35 in 1st, over 60 in 2nd, and in the 90 range in 3rd. 3rd is in the 3rd gear place and OD is in 4th.

Stopped at the Truck Stop at exit 34 on I-90, near North Bend for gas. A guy pulled in to get gas in his 1/2 ton Dodge with a slant 6 and the same 3 speed with OD trans. Then a Ford pickup 1/2 ton came in too, right across from me. His truck had the 300 6 with the 3 speed with OD trans. Was actually kind of neat knowing that trans was so adaptable. We all went inside and had a cup of coffee together. They both said the same as I did, and they both had real tall rear gears, can't use OD until way up there in the higher speeds.

Not a lot of power, with the 6, for overdrive unless I am over the 70 range.

The 6.2 will do just fine. Add a set of Stan's Headers, hotter cam, and dual exhaust and there it is, a good driver.

Drove to Post Falls, Idaho yesterday and made the trip worth while.

I have a very low mileage 6.2 with the new Heath towing cam and a new set of GEP 6.5 heads going in my 98. And I already have a 6.2 to install in my 81 short box and a manual trans flywheel along with pressure plate and clutch.

But another complete, minus the power steering pump and bracket 6.2, low miler, was on Craigslist in Post Falls and another guy, less than a mile away, had another 6.2 manual trans flywheel and clutch and pressure plate. $200 for the 6.2 and $125for the clutch setup. 560 mile day and a good day for a drive!

A 660 block built 3-2-81.

Bolted the 6.2 into my military engine shipping crate and drove home!

But I do need a 6.2 power steering bracket now!

.... And I already have a 6.2 to install in my 81 short box and a manual trans flywheel along with pressure plate and clutch....
That is going to be a cool set up. I want to do the same.

I have a neighbor that has a 81 GMC 1/2 ton LB 2WD the upscale trim version, he bought new. It was a diesel originally, a Olds 350. When that died it got a Olds 307. He stopped driving it a few years ago when he got to the point where he couldn't farm, so he only drives his newer pickup now. This one is sitting and I have been trying to talk him out of it, since I have a rust bucket with a 6.2 drive train to drop in it. Being an ex diesel all the diesel stuff is on the dash so it will look stock to anyone that does not know the 6.2 did not arrive till 82. I may have to buy it from his widow. :)

This is an awesome build, love to see a NA 6.2 done up.

Are you going with the lightweight flywheel that came with the 833, its been a while since i looked but i saw two different one listed before, one was 30 lbs and one was 50 if i remember correctly. Course this could all just be coming out of my ass lol.

And which bracket do you need? I bet i have it i just never know what's what.

Well, as if 2, mostly complete, 6.2 engines aren't enough, I bought another 6.2. This 1 is in a 84 Chev 1 ton 4x4, crew cab, single rear wheel, and heavy 4 speed. I have the correct bellhousing for my A833 trans. Heard this one run. Along with power steering and brackets, I get the alternator, starter, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. New injection pump, injectors, and glow plugs. This guys Dad bought the truck new and his Mom used it for a hockey team mover.

I now have 2 extra manual trans flywheels, along with clutch and pressure plates. Plus 2 extra 6.2 engines!

Now I know for sure I will have enough parts to install the 6.2 in my '81 C10!

Well, as if 2, mostly complete, 6.2 engines aren't enough, I bought another 6.2. This 1 is in a 84 Chev 1 ton 4x4, crew cab, single rear wheel, and heavy 4 speed. I have the correct bellhousing for my A833 trans. Heard this one run. Along with power steering and brackets, I get the alternator, starter, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. New injection pump, injectors, and glow plugs. This guys Dad bought the truck new and his Mom used it for a hockey team mover.

I now have 2 extra manual trans flywheels, along with clutch and pressure plates. Plus 2 extra 6.2 engines!

Now I know for sure I will have enough parts to install the 6.2 in my '81 C10!

I want one of those!

A rear gear change is in now in order for my engine swap project. A guy, south of Seattle, had a complete 12 bolt 3:42 posi rear housing from an early 80's GM 1/2 ton, 5 on 5 bolt pattern, for $400. I bought it!

3:08's are really neat gears except for trying to take off on a hill, lot of clutch slipping. Cruised back from Seattle area today in the mid 70's, in 3rd, with OD being used on the down side of the hills.

That 6.2 will still be purring down the road at crusing speeds.

The A833 trans does have a fairly low first gear but not for even the slightest of uphill grades with the 3:08's. I am quite sure the 3:42 gearing will make a noticable difference, especially on take off.

I've got a question for you about the bellhousing since you have a diesel bellhousing.

I've been slowly collecting parts for a 6.2 swap into my 71 Toyota FJ40, and have almost everything now, or so I thought. All I'm needing now, or at least I thought so, is the flywheel and clutch parts. Last night I was cruising around on the net to see if I could find a 6.2 flywheel and read that the GM gasser bellhousing (have three now) won't work for the diesel because the diesel starter nose won't fit in the gasser starter space.

Is this correct, and if so, can the gasser bellhousing be modified to fit the diesel starter nose?

Don

Back