• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

23 thousand pounds, and 10 mpg average, I am quite proud!

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been a while since i've seen a computer, so it is old news to me, but still worth noting.

We made a yearly trip to Idaho to the family farm to get the combines rolling for another year (farm is rented out, but we do small time custom harvesting)

Anyways, with rocks in fields, equipment tends to get tore up, so we buy good used equipment in KS and haul it out to Idaho to sell to farmers who need to replace their tore up stuff.

So, after a discussion on the cooler lines, dad and I determined the 92 was up to the task, and so we placed a 3 section blade plow (undercutter, alfalfa crowner, etc.) on the truck, and along with a combine drive tire, the 13 foot bed was filled. and on the trailer resided a heavy framed offset disc (about 20 ft) (trailer was a 14K gross PJ 20 deckover)

All loaded, we head out, thinking we were under 20K by a ways. somewhere in Colorado, we stop at a local town with a grain elevator. late at night, we drove the truck on the scale. scale display still on, it read 22,880 lbs. that is without me 210 lbs, and the tank had about 70 miles on it. so with a full tank of fuel and me in the truck, we weighed over 23K.

We drove in fifth most of the way, dropping to 4th on some Wyoming grades. in eastern ID, we found one grade that required a brief drop to second, as I didn't get a run at it. Otherwise 3rd would have been the lowest gear.

The 5.13s helped alot, but keep in mind we were running tall factory rubber (225/70R19.5), so that offset the leverage a tad. Hurting our performance was a mild exhaust leak at the drivers manifold/ crossover donut gasket.

otherwise the truck did fine, temp never peaked 210 except in eastern ID on a long grade, temps went up to about 220, 230 or so, heater was turned on high defrost when they crested 220.

mileage dipped to high 8s, and was as high as low 12s, overall average was about 10 mpg

all this in a stock 92 C3500HD 6.5L 5spd 2wd 5.13s! I was quite pleased and impressed!:thumbsup:

thanks for all the positive comments! Veg_out, your dash kit looks nice, I saw the price on the site, is that for one, or if not, how many for that price?

Back