• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

22+mpg

I cant believe the deals im seeing now, but its scary with the crappy economy. This is defintley the cheapest i think were going to see vehicles for a long time.

I cant believe the deals im seeing now, but its scary with the crappy economy. This is defintley the cheapest i think were going to see vehicles for a long time.

I hope the prices stay this way for a while, or till next fall. If I could buy before then I would.

I have a hard time keeping it under 75 when I go state to state just can't be the being passed I have to be the one leading the pack. to a certain extent I try not to go more then about 7 mph faster then the speed limit. But even going 75 I'll get about 20 mpg. But a few months ago I pulled a trailer 3000 miles and only got about 11.5 and that hurt. that was when the fuel was almost $5.00 a gallon.

Latest Trip:

San Jose, CA to Murphy, OR (Round-Trip)
1206.0 Miles
65.904 Gallons
$146.81 spent on Fuel

This was averaging 68-70MPH on highway combined Flat Land and several climbs.
No Trailer, 4 Adults with associated luggage. Not too bad. Can't complain as my old 2000 5.3L Z71 would average 16 on the hwy.

I havent checked mine in some time but we are still running winter blend too. Diesel is still cut 35% with kero since temps are still cold.

I have it the 23mpg before with the Great Grandma approach, 67mph accellerating slowly on the ramps to interstate hiway, all on flatland and never stomp down with right foot. Hard to do when you see a Yugo pass you like your sitting still. I just wanted to see if it was possible and it is, if you can take the pain.

I have it the 23mpg before with the Great Grandma approach, 67mph accellerating slowly on the ramps to interstate hiway, all on flatland and never stomp down with right foot. Hard to do when you see a Yugo pass you like your sitting still. I just wanted to see if it was possible and it is, if you can take the pain.

I am used to the pain now.....I gently ease into the throttle...

I got nearly 22 last year when I went to GA. I haven't got close to that since, but I also have a bad tranny and haven't changed the oil since I went to GA, I can't remember if it's been over 20k miles since I was supposed to change it, or if it was since I did change it. Either way, it's been 20-25k miles since the last oil change.

I have never gotten over 20, but I have a really hard time keeping my foot out of the the throttle, about the worst I get is 15, no matter how much I romp on it.

Ya, you have to Drive Miss Daisy to get that kind of mileage. Normally I average low 16's, high 15's are not out of the realm of possiblilty depending on how heavy traffic is and how aggrivated I get.

I guess I am very lucky! My best is 24.5 (Always hand calculated)from RI to NH, all highway, and cruise control set to just over 63 mph. I was fully loaded with gear and 5 people including myself inside the truck. I have been averaging about 17 mpg all winter. I must admit, I drive like an old man. I don't like to push it when it is very cold outside, below freezing. I also have stock tires, and run a mild Hypertech tuner. I use Stanadyne fuel additive with a little 2 stroke every tank.

I am still trying to top 22.8 MPG and thought I was going to make last winter but the winter blend must have got me. The best I could do was 22.5 MPG. Hey thats still way better than the 19.8 MPG that I got with the 2003 GMC, EXT. Cab, 4X4 1/2 ton I use to have and that truck weighed about 1800 to 2000 pounds less than my 2500HD.

Update on my mileage. Just took the hunting camper and treestands to the camp on Friday. Got about 14.2 MPG on the way up with the camper. Did check it on the way back today and did get 21.0 MPG with some wind along the way, speeds from 55 to 70 with 65 being the average.

That's good.

It's all how you drive it.

I haven't topped mine since my trip to FL this past summer.

This past summer I got 22.3 on a trip to Houston, all interstate, cruise on 73, taking off like I was in my kia and not passing anyone. Edge evo set on hot 1. Hardest drive I ever made):h. Just wanted to see what it would do. I just put a 6" lift and 35's. I am scared to check it now:eek:. I have to go to Atlanta next Friday, I will see what I can squeeze out of it on the way there and drive normal (for me that is 80-85) the trip home to see what the difference is.

When fuel was near $5 last year, I was on a mission every day to get 20+ and the best I ever did was 21.9. That was with drafting every semi I could as long as he was at over 60 mph. Now that I'm running B20 90% of the time I never get over 19 and THAT's rare. I'm usually at 17-18. Straight #2would likely be 18-19. Not driving like grandpa anymore and with little drafting. I'm 95% highway.

Back