• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 3500 HD TowPig

Huh . . .?

If that is the game plan going forward for the fleet, might want to consider avoiding the premium price of a new vehicle and stick with new(er) that still has a warranty to match how long y'all plan to keep it.
I actually paid less for this truck than a similarly equipped one with 15k on it that had just come in on trade. We got really good deals with the "bonus tags" and business pricing. It's not worth trying to scrounge around and find "lightly used" trucks, because everyone has paid interest on them and wants top dollar. We paid cash, and it was a better deal to buy brand spanking new. I did my homework, talked to brokers, car buyers and guys at the dealer, it's worth buying new. This truck will have 100-120k miles on it in 2 years, and it will be time to trade it for something else. I already have 3500 miles on it....

I actually paid less for this truck than a similarly equipped one with 15k on it that had just come in on trade. We got really good deals with the "bonus tags" and business pricing. It's not worth trying to scrounge around and find "lightly used" trucks, because everyone has paid interest on them and wants top dollar. We paid cash, and it was a better deal to buy brand spanking new. I did my homework, talked to brokers, car buyers and guys at the dealer, it's worth buying new. This truck will have 100-120k miles on it in 2 years, and it will be time to trade it for something else. I already have 3500 miles on it....

I've found this to be the case a lot of time. Truck with 20K miles on them are going for what you could get a new one for.

I've found this to be the case a lot of time. Truck with 20K miles on them are going for what you could get a new one for.

I agree. This is the reason i paid $2K more to get a brand new truck over a used.

Not gonna lie, I'm a SUCKER for the Alaskan edition truck. Nice truck Ed!

Gotcha. Does it tell you when it's regening? I can't tell, and I'm assuming it has at least once, I've got 3500 miles on already...

You can smell regen, smells like metal burning. It will idle higher during regen, almost 1,000 rpm. Fuel economy drops during regen, mine goes to about 10 from about 15. With you constantly towing it might not need to regen. The two times I have towed my RV my fuel economy went to the highest it has ever been afterword. I wish I towed more, but, work just does not allow it. Maybe soon, one day. I also will trade mine in, as soon as I hit three years or 36,000 miles. I tried to find a used truck, could not find what I wanted for what I wanted to pay.

Look up du ha under back seat storage, best thing ever!

It's funny, the dealer sells something like that. Because we are a business customer, I got $1k in "free" accessories, and I thought I was supposed to get the under seat storage, but apparently I didn't. The DuHa looks pretty nice. All our half tons got the GM under-seat storage. Might be because they were double cabs, but it seemed kinda small.

Hahaha. Well, I was in charge of purchasing the trucks, and the boss (Dad) OK'd the price, so I got what I wanted lol.

Already putting it to work:
pzyYygl.jpg

Bought a JCB 260 ECO skid-steer and a PJ 20' trailer, and I love them both. Truck did an awesome job towing as well, besides the 12.5 MPG, but I'm guessing it just needs to loosen up a bit, and I'm guessing the emissions BS has something to do with that as well. Too bad I can't just delete it all, but we'll be reselling it in 2 years, and it'd void the warranty.... I do really like the exhaust brake feature using the VGT, was in a hilly area for a bit while towing and barely had to touch the service brakes. Built-in brake controller is nice too.

Super nice truck, trailer and equipment. Does the GVWR on the truck and trailer put you into the CDL category? Just curious, not wanting to cause you any undo stress to worry about. Might be something to check since you will be on the road operating in a business capacity. You may already have the CDL, if so its not an issue, that is if the combined rating requires it.

Super nice truck, trailer and equipment. Does the GVWR on the truck and trailer put you into the CDL category? Just curious, not wanting to cause you any undo stress to worry about. Might be something to check since you will be on the road operating in a business capacity. You may already have the CDL, if so its not an issue, that is if the combined rating requires it.
No, it's under 26,000. A dually could have the potential to be over, but you only need a CDL if you actually gross that weight.

Hate to tell you but CDL's are based on GVWR Ratings. This is just an example: Truck rated at 11,000 and trailer at 16,000 for a total of 27,000 pounds, would require a CDL Class A. Not trying to create any issues or give you a hard time, but I would hate to see you get in a bind.

The truck GVWR is 11,500, trailer should be 14,000? It has 2 7k axles. I can pull a gooseneck rated for more, I just can't have my load at more than 26k. Also, it's for farm use, so I get some gray area there too...

The truck GVWR is 11,500, trailer should be 14,000? It has 2 7k axles. I can pull a gooseneck rated for more, I just can't have my load at more than 26k. Also, it's for farm use, so I get some gray area there too...

Ok great, if you can get by with farm use then you should be good without the CDL. Either way if your rating or gross weight stays 26,000 LBS. or less, then you shouldn't have any problems as far as the license CDL part.

Its similar in my state. I could use a truck and trailer for farm use and exceed 26,000 pounds but if my trailer is rated over 10,000 pounds in that situation, I would still have to have what is called a classified Class A license since the trailer is rated over 10,000 pounds. A lot of it makes no sense. But there again I could use a truck rated at 6,000 pounds and tow a trailer rated at 20,000 pounds and not be in any kind of violation. Here is what don't make a difference to me: It requires the same skills to tow a trailer rated at 10,000 pounds versus 20,000 pounds, considering they are the same size trailer and same configuration wise. Other words while driving I have to maneuver both the trailers the same backing and towing.

Looks like you did your home work to keep the trailer rating low enough to keep your combination below the 26,000 pounds. Good deal then, looks like you are going to be a busy man for sure. Be safe out there on your daily travels, there's morons all around us.

Back