• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 Toyota 4Runner

Uhhhh, You migjt want to put a little fuel in that old beast. 😹
Mighty impressive looking rig for having over a quarter of a million miles on it.
I was on my way to fill it (for my wife) and then to the market.

Just put new Cooper AT3 Load Range E tires on it, plus new TPMS senders. Have an appointment with local mechanic to install new inner tie rods, then get an alignment done.

4Runners are wonderful vehicles! I loved the one we had. used to have a 2004 sport model. drove it all over and had the comfortablest front seats! I could sit in that ride all day long and not feel exhausted after ending a trip. we sold ours after a sad mistake on my part.

I would always use the remote start in the mornings while getting ready for work. one morning I started it up from inside the house, got ready to leave, walking out to it I heard the motor ticking.... rushed to shut it off and checked the oil. it wasn't showing anything but a drop on the dipstick :jawdrop: drop 4 quarts in a 5 quart engine and said a prayer. It had never leaked a drop and I usually checked it every so often never having to add anything. after that day, every time I started it up you could hear it rattle for a 1/2 a second till oil got to circulating. I assume it had burned the oil through the rings, and not long after that happened I started getting a code on the ECM for the cat and O2 sensors.

knowing that it would soon need an engine or a rebuild on the lower end, we sold it. that was a sad day indeed.

4Runners are wonderful vehicles! I loved the one we had. used to have a 2004 sport model. drove it all over and had the comfortablest front seats! I could sit in that ride all day long and not feel exhausted after ending a trip. we sold ours after a sad mistake on my part.

I would always use the remote start in the mornings while getting ready for work. one morning I started it up from inside the house, got ready to leave, walking out to it I heard the motor ticking.... rushed to shut it off and checked the oil. it wasn't showing anything but a drop on the dipstick :jawdrop: drop 4 quarts in a 5 quart engine and said a prayer. It had never leaked a drop and I usually checked it every so often never having to add anything. after that day, every time I started it up you could hear it rattle for a 1/2 a second till oil got to circulating. I assume it had burned the oil through the rings, and not long after that happened I started getting a code on the ECM for the cat and O2 sensors.

knowing that it would soon need an engine or a rebuild on the lower end, we sold it. that was a sad day indeed.
How did it get so low on oil?

I hate those remote start or push to start things. Give me the key start everytime.

That part I don't know! all the years we had it there was never a spot in the driveway and nothing under it. every time I had check it before it would always be on the full mark. it had a 5000 mile interval I usually kept up with my self changing the oil. I do remember after that happened looking for a leak but never figured it out. couldn't find any wet spots, the undercarriage and pan area was always clean other than the normal dust from the road. I think we had it another couple months before selling it and even then still driving it after that happened I didn't need to add any oil. only thing I can think of was maybe something with the emissions and what it used for a pcv valve had gotten stuck sucking the oil from the crankcase and burning it. that would explain why the codes started popping up for the O2's and the cat.

it had a little over 170K on it and otherwise was in immaculate condition

Back