• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2009 Wheel/Brake and Suspension changes

HoytBows

Reaction score
Ok guys. Heres what I want to do. My 2009 LMM CC sits way too low. FIRST QUESTION - Why is it I see trucks of the same generation/same truck that sit 3" higher than other trucks? (Mainly the 2007.5-2010s)

From what I can tell, they came from the factory that way. I'm not talking about a lift or anything crazy, I just want 2"-3" more inches out of my truck. Most of the 2011+ all seem to sit about the same height which is about 3" higher than my truck. I know they are on a different chassis. How do I get that out of it? Torsion bars and blocks under the springs in the back? Or another leaf?

SECOND QUESTION - Can I put the 18" 2011+ GM rims on my truck?

I want to do this so I can swap out my discs/brake assembly for the bigger ones off the newer trucks. For some reason I feel like I saw a post on here a while back that I could NOT, but I don't have anybody close where I could actually test this out. And I like the look of one style of those rims.

the wheels are diable with adapters[bolt patterns are different],the brakes and rotors are different too,could you change hubs?i dont know,youd have to measure control arms/spindles/mountings

The 2007.5-2010 frame is nearly identical to the previous gen, other than body mounts, essentially. Suspension setup is the same.

The 2011 trucks got a major chassis re-fresh, and a changed bolt pattern. No, the wheels aren't a direct bolt up like Chevys since about 1967 to 2010 were.

So has anybody seen what I have? Why some of these trucks seem to naturally sit higher than the others? I am referring to trucks of the same generation. I think I even noticed it pre 2007.5. Maybe I am just off my rocker

No Sir, I've never owned a two wheel drive car with a truck bed! I know that would do it. When I say same truck, I mean it. I'm going to start carrying around a tape measure and camera and documenting some research!

Cranked t-bars since you got it? I put 9 ish rounds on mine when new and 285s. At most 1/2 round here and there to keep it even. Alignment required immediately after cranking. Make sure it's up off the floor when cranking. 16 MM socket IIRC

Roger that, yeah i'm going to crank them. What do the "green torsion keys" do for me if i get them? Give me more lift? Does it really screw with the ride that much? I want to do the DIY rear end blocks or extra leaf thats in the DIY section now too. I HATE SAGGING REAR ENDS!!! I tow a heavy horse trailer too and I dont want it squatting

Green (1/2 ton stockers actually iirc) are tempting but when you get that high you are REALLY asking the front steerind and suspension gear to do much more than it's designed to do. Especially since you are pulling a horse rig that wit want to wag your tail at some point and you want the steering to be reliable at that point. If it was me I'd crank the keys and install rear blocks.

Side Q... Where are you located? I'm going to be S of Denver in a couple of weeks for a few days.
Edit: Chad and I connected and will likely be able to meet up for a coffee at least. Looking forward to it. I deleted a couple of off topic posts about it.

Last edited:
Are there any aftermarket brake systems that would do much better than the stock ones on my truck? I just really havent been all that impressed with them. Maybe I need to flush and bleed my lines and see if that helps any.

Some improvement has been reported by flushing the hydroboost. I believe there is a thread in DIY. Or maint section. I saw some improvement. Some have replaced the flex lines with braided and say it's an improvement too.

I will try those things and see once. Anybody try drilled/slotted rotors? Mine are warped and will need to be turned or replaced sooner or later... Never played with the sporty ones, can they make much of a difference?

I wouldn't used drilled, if the holes get drilled after the rotor is heat-treated (cheap ones are), they are prone to be cracking. I'd get a good set of either slotted or just quality parts-store rotors and some good ceramic pads.

Back