• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2007 Classic Silverado wheel questions...

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
My truck now has 43k on it...since 10k it got new tires, the 285 Silent Armors in my sig (stock rims). So far I've gotten 30k out of these, and that's been towing almost all the time. It's been a good ride...love the tires...BUT...

The inside of the fronts have been rubbing...raised white letters (turned in) are rubbing off. All I can think of is this has been from backing trailers. It's the only time I crank on things...it gets pretty tight from time to time and I have little choice.

I have been eyeing new rims next year, probably along with another set of the Silent Armors. The present tires are going to go beyond the 50k they are warrantied for. They did an admirable job and I would do them again in a heartbeat...

My question is offset...can I move the tires out to avoid the rubbing of the insides? Probably do it with the rims...would that be hard on bearings or front end geometry or anything else?

A set of spacers could work, in theory but that's putting unnecessary wear on your front end. Why not look for some 16x8" wheels?

Ozzie, I have had 295's and 285's on since I bought this truck. I have never had the problem you are describing. Mine rub on the plastic liners but nothing else. I am wondering what your rubbing against that is doing that to your tires. I recently moved to aftermarket rims and used 16x8. It gave the tires a bit more height, not much, but a little because your allowing the side wall to become fully extended vs bent in to the smaller stock rim width. The ride is a bit stiffer, because you have a more vertical side wall now, but the rub is virtually gone. The little that is there imo is because of the huge lugs on the duratrac corners.

So that's why Nick said go with the 16 x 8's...a little more height wouldn't hurt me at all. I haven't had to cut anything since those tires went on...just cranked the t-bars and put a little air in my bags on the back.
The guy at the tire shop said I don't have any turning stops, thus I can crank my steering tight till it rubs the upper a-frame. I actually saw the rub marks on them.
Keep in mind I don't normally turn that tight, but I back a work trailer daily in tight quarters and sometimes don't have the choice. I guess I'll be paying more attention now, but I'd like different steel rims anyways. The kind Rich has on his Cummins would do me just about right.
I was wishfully thinking I could offset those tires out a bit, but I don't want to tear things up.

It sounds to me like you're looking for a leveling kit vs a set of new wheels. That'd help with the clearance that you're looking for and also keeps the front end more or less within specs so it's not so outta whack.

Ozzie, glad to hear you like the tires because I was thinking of purchasing a set,didnt like the toyos. Also thanks for the heads up on the rubbing. I was going to go with 285s this time but I guess I 'll stick with the 265s as I have not had a rubbing problem with them at all.

I do love the tires enough to do them again...pricey suckers now though. They've gone up quite a bit in price since I got them.

Boy, I've sure never had any rubbing issues of any kind with the 285 ATs on stock PYOs. Cranked T-bars and air dam trim is all I've ever done. That's 4 sets on 3 different 2500HDs. BTW, I'm positive there are stops in there.

I was thinking the same thing...never heard of a vehicle NOT having them. I'll take another look myself when I get under there to do the front shocks.

I priced the silent armors at $190 a piece for the 265s and $225 a piece for the 285s. Big jump in price for a slightly larger tire. Yes that was load range E

What ever you do dont look into the duratracs. The worst tire I have ever had. The wonder these tires have is incredible.

Ok...we have an update...long story involving a couple of letters, but I ended up with a complete set of new rubber...same tires, sizing, etc. Now that I have the new set I am REALLY wanting to cure this tire rub before I trash the insides of these (I do have steering stops, but the tires hit first). 16 X 8 rims are being sought...but I don't know how much the backspace would be, or how far I could go till it causes undue wear of the front end parts. From prvious posts in this thread, just going to the 8" rim will probably cure much of this issue, but now is the time if I can apply some wiggle room in the backspacing, I want to do that too.

I have no clue what stock is, so maybe an inch out from stock?

I'd guess 1/2 inch from stock at most. 1 inch of backspacing is a big move. Just make sure whatever you do you don't move the tires out of the coverage of the fender flares. MN State Patrol will get you, like they did me. $400 new fender flares on my Tahoe later all was fine. ;)

Back