• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 LLY DMAX

CAT MAN

Duramax Demon
Reaction score
Im looking at a 2006 GMC crew cab short bed with the LLY/6speed allison sence i cant find a ZF6:mad2:. What are somethings i should know about this setup before i buy it?? the truck is $16,000 and has 90,000miles on it everything is stock but H2 rims and 285 BFG tires. Ive never drove a 6speed allison besides dads new LMM is the LLY and 6speed allison a good match or should i try to find a 5speed?? I dont want to go crazy with the truck if i buy it i want 4" exhaust, intake and a mild tune for it just an everyday truck for the farm. What does everyone think.

I've got one and have had basically zero problems with it since new (3 years and 55k miles). It will repeatedly get 22+ on the highway.

The price is right in line and if it hasn't been beat to death you won't regret it.

The 06 LLY uses the same tuners, exhaust, etc as the 06+ LBZ does. There are no other differences between them except for programming.

ok thats good, the truck has not had any performace stuff added but if it takes the same programers and the LBZ i will put the Edge chip in it my dad had on his LBZ. I seen some were if you put an exhaust for the turbo back it will through a code for no cat is this true??

Some do and some dont. Some trucks throw a code only when towing. Some only throw the code when you have a certain tune loaded in it. Some dont throw codes at all. The problem is that none of these trucks seem to be the same. You may get lucky.

I ran a 4" turbo back system on my 04.5 LLY and I never got a code.

the lbz/lly package seems more picky on the egr codes. i believe you can clear codes with the newer edge though.

I dont really want to throw codes what does everyone think of the 5" cat back from MBRP??

I've got an LBZ. Awesome truck!
5" Straight pipe, no codes. EGR is blocked. Only code before PPE was EGR, but PPE blocks the EGR codes, so no codes for me.

well I already have the edge chip from dads old truck. so i think i will use that. and will the Banks intake for the LBZ work for the LLY?? if so i have a chip and intake already and just need to get an exhaust.

how much horsepower will a cat back exhast cut out??

I've read that cat back systems are good for around a dyno'd 11 h.p. at the wheels.

Also, we do have several supporting vendors here who sell exhaust systems. Take a gander at their websites, found on the main page, to see if there's anything that they could help you with.

11hp thats pretty good for a cat back. I think i made up my mine on the exhaust thanks and will keep you posted on the truck Im going to look at it tomorrow with dad.

We have a 5 speed and dad complains about not having another gear, LOL. Get the 6 speed. No problems, and the D-max/allison has a 100k warranty, so you're good for a little while.

I have also heard that the 6spd may be a little stronger. not sure of the accuracy of this statement. just speculation that I have overheard (read).
Plus, I know on mine, I can travel 70mph @ 1750rpm with 265/75/16 BFG AT's and stock gears with the 6spd.
also no need to downshift to pull a decent grade (unloaded), occasionally downshifts to 5th when towing ~8k lbs.

Im gettin more and more pumped to look at it tomorrow.. I hope it looks as good in person as the little black and white pick.

I went and looked at the truck this afternoon and it looks amazing its red, crew cab short bed black fender flairs,H2 rims with 285 BFG tires, trucks never been chiped, no intake or exhaust so it will be in good shape for me,My dad likes it so i think saturday we will go over and purchace it, I got him down to $15,000 so i dont think you can beat that a 2006 with 90,000miles for 15k. he said he would send some pics i will keep yea updated.

Thats great news...!!!

Be sure to post some pictures when you get the chance...There's lots of cheap or free modifications we gotta do to that yet...

yep i got and intake, and i cant get the PPE hot +2 for $450 bucks from my one friend thats a diesel mechanic and the exhaust im not sure of how much that will be. then im getting some gauges put in too.

Back