• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 2500 HD CV joints

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I am just curious to hear if anyone with a 2500 HD around 2006 model year has had to change CV joints yet?
I have a whoop whoop noise going in. Just trying to determine whether to change Front drive shaft universal joints, which seem to be fine, or change out the CV joints. Seems to be coming from driver's side front. Both axle and CV joints are in same vicinity.
Seems I just keep throwing parts at this beast now...

I replaced mine around 200k Jeff. I just ordered from RA. It's a pretty east job by rotating the steering while working on it. IIRC you have to pull the stabilizer links so you might buy new ones of those while you're at it because you'll wind up destroying the old links.

You have to pull the bearing caps and nuts/lockwasher outside and the 4 inner bolts. Pop it apart inside and then slide it out to the inside after removing the stabilizer links. Mine were only a little bit noisy but they were flinging grease out of the outer boots. Take your time removing the caps. They're easy to mess up.

Ahh. Ok. I will check that.
I think I will just change the drive shaft U-Joints first, then test ride to see if noise is still there. If noise is still present I'll change out CV joints.
This salt brine in winter has just completely killed my truck. What a shame.

When you replace CV shafts, make sure to get thermoplastic boots. Neoprene boots are lucky to hold up for 5 years anymore for the most part, but it's not uncommon to find 25 year old thermoplastic boots still going. As to CV's, they tend to make a popping/crumpling sound when turning when they fail. When going straight the joints are not really doing anything other than spinning.

Just to update. I changed out both. Pretty easy. Driver's side boot had a small hole. U joint was still functioning but not like new. Hopefully these should be good for another 200k OR until truck frame rots in half.

Back